Jira dashboard adding tickets manually, without a gadget.

Shweta_Kapadia August 25, 2022

I am following specific tickets on daily bases. I do not want to use the Watch gadget because that shows some tickets that I don't need to follow daily. 

How do I add specific tickets in JIRA dashboard without using a gadget?

3 answers

3 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jose Gato Luis November 29, 2022

I had exactly your same question, instead having a document with a list of tickets, to have something in your dashboards. But, using dashboards you will need a kind of query. I thought on adding some labels, but... some of these tickets belongs to other (even far) projects. So to add my own labels dont seem a good practice. In some cases you dont have perms.

So I created my own filter with a query, which is... show me the tickts on this list of ids:

id IN (PROJECT1-596, PROJECT1-596, PROJECT2-3029, WHATEVER-2207, WHATEVER-3270, WHATEVER-3476, WHATEVER-3464, BUGS-3029)

so, any time you want to follow a new ticket. You have to edit the filter, and add new ids to the list. It is manual work, but it is exactly what you want to do. It would nicer, if you could directly create the list on a gadget, but....

Shweta_Kapadia November 29, 2022

Thank you! I will try this and post here on how's it working. Understand that it's bit of manual work but I am doing that anyways. 

1 vote
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 25, 2022

Hello @Shweta_Kapadia 

Welcome to the community.

The architecture of a Jira Dashboard is to display data through gadgets. You can't add items to a dashboard without using a gadget.

Can you provide more specific information to explain what you mean by "following specific tickets on a daily bases" and how that contrasts with not needing to "follow daily" the tickets that you Watch?

What information do you want displayed for these tickets? What are you looking for on a daily basis? Are there different tickets you want to look at from one day to the next?

You could create a Saved Filter to retrieve the issues in which you are interested, and then use that saved filter as the basis for the gadget that displays the type of data you want from the issues.

So, I am currently using Gadget ' Watched Issues' and use status filter to sort Issues that I am tracking.  However, that still brings up lot of unnecessary tickets in my Dashboard. 

I am basically trying to create a custom list of tickets that I need to f/u on daily basis and that list may change from week to week. So rather than keeping a manual list somewhere else, I want to be able to arrange them in JIRA.  

Hope that clarifies what I am trying to do. 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 25, 2022

How do you identify that you need to follow up on a particular issue on a particular day? Given a list of issues, how do you identify that you need to follow up on ABC-123 today, but you don't need to follow up on ABC-456 today?

As a project manager, I don't actively work on Issues but follow issues based on project priorities. 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 25, 2022

If you want Jira to present information to you where the list changes on a daily basis and you don't want to manually manage what is included in that list, then you will have to define criteria in terms of how the issues can be selected in Jira using a JQL filter.

For example, Jira does not natively have a Priority value that covers an entire project. How can you use Jira data to determine which project is a priority on any given day?

If issues have fields/settings in them that help you determine you need to follow up on them, you can use that information to build your search filter. You can also do some filtering based on some of the dates recorded in the issues, such as finding issues that have not been updated in a specified number of days.

If you are not very familiar with searching for issues (creating filters), here are some links to the documentation.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/search-for-issues-in-jira/

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/use-advanced-search-with-jira-query-language-jql/

Shweta_Kapadia August 26, 2022

Thank you! that's helpful!

1 vote
Answer accepted
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 25, 2022

Hi @Shweta_Kapadia 

A Gadget is required to showcase any data in the Dashboard & it's very important how are those tickets recognized.

For example, if you have a custom field with the name "Animal" and the field is of type single select list with Options Cat, Dog, Tiger, Lion

You could query the Issues which have only Cat in the Widget using Issue Filter Gadget or better create just the Filter and you can see the issues.

Or if you want to just see the issues which are assigned to you, run assignee = currentUser() in the JQL section

Let me know if you have any queries

Thanks,
Pramodh

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events