Jira: burndown issue and possible solution

Xiang Zhang November 8, 2017

Hi,

Goal
I want draw sprint burndown chart based on Remaining Estimations which are taken as a sum of such values from subtasks. I want to be aware on what's going on in sprint with development progress.

Introduction
We use agile board for sprint work. For now it's important to have ability build burndown chart based on Original Estimate instead of Story Points.

The main issue there is that Agile Board don't use Original/Remaining estimate values from subtasks of features were taken in sprint. The only one option - log time to main ticket (no subtasks). But that's completely wrong because of mess with QA and Developers logging.

Possible solution

Steps:
1. Add 3 fields (New Feature, Bug, Bug Story, Task)

• Development remaining
  • QA remaining
  • ALL remaining

2. Create some Job which will do following

• Monitors "active sprints" content under specific project
  • Let's assume this should be happened every 1-5 minutes (depends on ? )

3. For each ticket from "active sprints" Job should do following

• Calculate all remaining estimates from all "development task" subtasks and put sum to "Development remaining" field
  • Calculate all remaining estimates from all "QA task" subtasks and put sum to "QA remaining" field
  • Calculate all remaining estimates from all subtasks and put sum to "ALL remaining" field

Then we will have additional fields which will be updated by aggregate value of remaining estimates. So it will be clear how sprint is going from development point of view.

Is there some tools can be used for updating new field?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 8, 2017

You'll need to write code to do this.  Specifically, a listener that can pick up all changes to sub-tasks and re-index a parent issue that has a scripted (calculated) field on it, or amend the custom field on the parent.

I'd use the Script Runner add-on to do it, and have done in the past (But that's because I always have access to it, as I work for Adaptavist).  There are other options in the marketplace.

Suggest an answer