Jira+Zephyr formatting in test steps is messed

Piotr Dańczura March 22, 2021

Since some recent update test steps in ZEPHYR now use more JIRA formatting.

This is messing a lot of previously created tests as it automatically changes stuff like _ - * to specific text formatting (like itallics, strikethrough, bolding)

In result we have steps which lack specific symbols but have unecessary formatting that only make things harder. Previously it was not a problem as such formatting was not recognized by Zephyr.
is there a way to disable formatting zephyr test steps?

3 answers

1 vote
Matt Kennedy April 27, 2021

@Piotr Dańczura 

Thank you for raising a support ticket, my test team has also found the text formatting characters such as underscores for _italics_ and hyphens for -strikethroughs- unhelpful when they apply automatically to test steps.

In lieu of a global control that disables all formatting characters, we've found that using \ backslash as an escape character helps keep text strings displayed as we'd expect them.

eg: TEST_ITEM_ONE displays as TESTITEMONE

but TEST\_ITEM\_ONE displays correctly as TEST_ITEM_ONE

Doing a find and replace ("_" for "\_") on all test steps isn't great, but it works for now.

Piotr Dańczura April 28, 2021

yes i am aware of that "workaround", i already discussed it with zephyr team in their support.

but this is rather pathetic way of 'fixing' the issue:) i have over 1000tests in zephyr, sitting and fixing all those with backslash is not an option:) doing it one by one during tests is also a time waster sadl

Like Mitza Oyaneder likes this
1 vote
Bibek Behera
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2021

@Piotr Dańczura ,

I would encourage you to submit a case with Zephyr support so that it can be reviewed and the needful can be done regarding the recent formatting changes.

-Bibek

Bibek Behera
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2021
Piotr Dańczura March 24, 2021

thanks did that

Petra Rackova March 3, 2022

The problem is still there and I have an answer from Zephyr support that this is a Jira problem, they are just calling Jira API to open a ticket pop up but it is opening the old version so it can't be fixed by Smartbear.

Piotr Dańczura March 3, 2022

so neither atlassian nor smarbear will admit to this bug:)?
the least they could do is add the "code" brackets to input long texts

Petra Rackova March 3, 2022

I don't understand it either. I asked my colleague that is an administrator for Jira in our company to report that as a bug to Jira support with all information from Smartbear and we will see :)

0 votes
Dirk Schiller December 16, 2021

Same here! Is there a way to inject code like with ``` or {code} or similar ?

Piotr Dańczura March 3, 2022

yeah that would be the best option
doing it by escaping is not doable

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events