Jira VS Project Management ( PMI / PMP )

With Jaganath January 28, 2019

Hi Team,
can you please help me out in understanding the jira software capabilities in terms of PMI / PMP?
Does it supports all the below mentioned knowledge areas?

1. Project Integration Management
  2. Project scope Management
  3. Project schedule Management
  4. Project cost Management
  5. Project quality Management 
  6. Project resource Management
  7. Project communication Management
  8. Project risk Management
  9. Project procurement Management
  10. Project stakeholder Management

If not, then how to achieve all using jira software?

- Jaganath

4 answers

2 votes
Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 2, 2020

HI, I do believe you can achieve all of these, but not with Jira alonel you will need to consider additional tools:

1. Project Integration Management
    1. You can use custom fields for resources and other data points, but you would be better off integrating with a tool like BigPicture or Advanced Roadmaps and maintaining documentation in Confluence. 
  2. Project scope Management
    1. This is one of those areas where Confluence would really shine, allowing you to create your requirement and project scope documentation, linked to Jira to have a live view of task status at any time.
  3. Project schedule Management
    1. Again, a PPM tool such as BigPicture or Advanced Roadmaps.
  4. Project cost Management
    1. Look into Tempo Budgets or CURVC
  5. Project quality Management 
    1. You will need a tool like qTest or Zephyr for Jira
  6. Project resource Management
    1. Again, a PPM tool such as BigPicture or Advanced Roadmaps.
    2. BigPicture provides a more granular view
  7. Project communication Management
    1. Confluence will REALLY give you a benefit here
  8. Project risk Management
    1. BigPicture provides a simple but robust risk matrix tool
  9. Project procurement Management
    1. Look into Insight, recently acquired by Atlassian.
  10. Project stakeholder Management
    1. A mix of Confluence and PPM tool reporting will give you all the tools you need.
0 votes
Khan Sarfaraz Akram
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 24, 2024

Certainly, Jira Software offers robust capabilities for project management aligned with PMI/PMP knowledge areas. It facilitates Project Integration, Scope, Schedule, Cost, Quality, Resource, Communication, Risk, Procurement, and Stakeholder Management. Jira's customizable workflows, issue tracking, and reporting features empower teams to effectively manage these knowledge areas. You can configure Jira to match your project's specific needs and implement PMI practices seamlessly. Additionally, add-ons and integrations can further enhance Jira's capabilities for comprehensive project management aligned with PMI standards.

0 votes
Josh July 6, 2021

Hi, 

You will probably appreciate this App for Jira cloud. It basically allows you to manage the projects in Jira as a certified PMP: 

Aneto Project Accounting System with Earned Value Management 

Josh

Aneto

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 7, 2021

Hello Josh,

Good morning. I hope you are well. I noticed you've been very active in the last couple of days, especially on these older posts, to promote your company's add-on. Please be observant that you are not spamming the community. Avoid necroposting and promotional language.

I ask that you please take a moment to review our Atlassian Community Online Guidelines for Marketplace Vendors, which we expect all vendors to follow to engage in this community.

Most importantly, you need to change your display name to identify yourself as a partner. To participate, you must (1) identify yourself not only in your posts but also in your name, by including your company name, for example, changing your public name to Josh -Aneto-.

Secondly, we request that you avoid necroposting. See Revisiting our Necroposting Guidelines:

In general, avoid posting on old threads (six months or more old), aka necroposting. However, you may post on old threads in certain cases. The rules are:

• Your post must add value to the thread 

• Your post must be specific to the user you are responding to (no cutting and pasting content in multiple threads)

• For now, do not update more than 2 old posts per day; we may remove this cap if the process goes smoothly
  • Think from the user’s perspective, and give a complete answer to the problem stated instead of only advertising one app or solution. In other words, make sure you discuss alternative solution paths.

• Include a marketplace search link rather than a link to a direct app as shown below.

I hope this is clear, but please let me know if you have any questions. 

Thank you,

Shannon

Like Anna-BigPicture likes this
0 votes
Anna-BigPicture
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 2, 2020

Hello @With Jaganath , 
Just give me a sign are you interested in the BigPicture Project Management & PPM plugin to Jira. Then I can present to you which areas BigPicture could support. 

Anna
SoftwarePlant Support

Suggest an answer