Jira User Not Receiving Email Notifications

Brittney Estes January 11, 2022

Hello,

I am a Jira administrator for the company that I work for, and I have a customer who has not received an email since 10/5/21.  I’ve tried creating a support zip, downloading it, and looking for anything that stuck out and I was unable to find anything.  I've also checked the notification helper to see if there was a configuration issue, and all seems to be well on that end also.  He is a watcher on all issues that he wishes to receive notifications on.  I've read in a few forums where Atlassian needed to do some backend work to resolve this issue.  Can you please help me with this?

3 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tim Perrault
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 11, 2022

I recently had this issue. It turned out the user was sending email from our jira instance to Junk folder. If it is narrowed down to just one user I would have them check their rules in their mailbox and also the Junk folder.

Brittney Estes January 13, 2022

Hi Tim. I checked with the user and they don't have any rules set in their mailbox (MS Outlook).  Thanks for the suggestion.

Like Tim Perrault likes this
Tim Perrault
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 13, 2022

Hmmm and I see the test message gets sent out properly. I think we are narrowing down the problem to the User's mailbox and not so much an issue with Jira especially if it is a single user. I don't think it's a blacklisting issue since I'm assuming the rest of the company is receiving notifications. I would reach out to your Outlook admins and see if they can see any messages are being blocked.

Like Brittney Estes likes this
Brittney Estes January 21, 2022

Thank you @Tim Perrault ! You were spot on with your suspicion.  After doing a little more troubleshooting and submitting a support request to Atlassian, this is indeed an Outlook issue.  

Like Tim Perrault likes this
0 votes
Answer accepted
Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 11, 2022

Are you able to send a test email to the user? If they receive a mail that way, it proves that the underlying mail mechanism is working properly.

Brittney Estes January 13, 2022

Hi Dave.  Yes, I have sent a test email already.  Apparently, the message got sent, but the user never received it.

Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2022

Sounds like it's being blocked somewhere in your email environment. Time to escalate to your email admins.

Like # people like this

Spot on, @Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting] This is an Outlook issue.  The user will be reaching out to Outlook to try to resolve this issue.

1 vote
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 11, 2022

Hi Brittany,

I would submit a support request to Atlassian with the user's email to see if it has gotten blacklisted by Atlassian for some reason. 

https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/

Thank you for the recommendation @John Funk . After creating a support ticket, I was able to find out that the notifications were leaving Atlassian's SMTP mail server and being delivered to the destination server.  However, the messages were failing between the mail server and the user's mailbox.  So, this was not a Jira issue but instead an Outlook issue.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 21, 2022

Great - glad you were able to track it down!

Like Brittney Estes likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events