Jira Time Tracking with Screen Capture

Sam October 20, 2020

Hi All,

Sharing some background on my question:

• I'm not a technical person with software development experience.
  • I'm working with an offshore development team and would like to keep the developers accountable for the Jira issues they are working on.
  • I would like to be able to monitor the actual time spent writing code against the time reported by the developers.
  • Found Clockwork Automated Timesheets in the Marketplace as a time tracking tool option, but it does not appear to have any video recording or screen shot capturing capabilities to monitor a developer's screen and visually verify that the code written is consistent with the time reported for writing code.
  • Upwork offers a proprietary tool where every five minutes a screenshot is taken of a developer's screen to visually verify that the code written is consistent with the time reported for writing code.

Anyone aware of similar tools that directly integrate with Jira which would allow me to both (1) track time and (2) visually capture screen shots (or video recording) of the code written by developers?

Thanks in advance for the help!

3 answers

0 votes
Nexonic Inc January 13, 2021

Nexonic JIRA plugin allows video annotation and screen capture, Nexonic has its own annotation toolbar with in the video player which allow users to pause / play video at any moment, add annotations such as label / boxes / text / lines with arrow .etc user can save annotation, many annotations can be added in a single video as scenario and can be easily navigated through annotation anchors, as displayed in below image.

There is a free 30 days trial for this plugin and can be installed from here.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1222135/video-annotation-mobile-capture?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

Nexonic also has a chrome plugin and mobile apps for users to allow capture videos from different platform and allow seem-less upload to a JIRA ticket.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/nexonic-screen-video-reco/phfhjdiecfnldknkfpligdiffpgplagh?hl=en

0 votes
Ed Letifov _TechTime - New Zealand_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 15, 2020

I would love to know how are you planning to use the recorded screenshot/video data to "keep developers accountable". I mean I understand the "you are being recorded so don't you dare..., or else" factor, but for this to be enforceable someone needs to look through the hours and hours of footage? Is this really worth it?

Our product EasyTime for Jira is available on Server, Data Center, and Cloud – it allows your team to track time instantly, automatically and accurately. EasyTime for Jira records time based on the events (view the issue, leave a comment, close/resolve the issue) that users naturally generate while working, they don't have to do anything extra.

Please do take a look. Reach out to our 24x7 support via Service Desk or the chat widget on our website if required.

No we do not do video or screen capturing.

The reason I am mentioning it here is that we have PoC integration our own dev team uses with IntelliJ IDEA – a plugin for the IDE that reports time to Jira when developers work on the code linked to an issue. 

I suppose you can go the same route if you want to capture the screen. Assuming the IDE being used is Java-based, there are means in Java to capture the screen.

0 votes
joehardin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 12, 2020

Hi Sam,

Unfortunately I don't think you are going to find that kind of solution because jira is a web based app and you are asking it to record a certain (but unspecified) desktop application (an IDE). Web apps generally can't do this.

You are going to need a desktop based application (like Upwork). Note that upwork does have an integration with jira (just not the same kind that you are describing). 

Sam November 15, 2020

Thx @joehardin - regrettably found the same results in my own search. Appreciate you sharing insight.

Suggest an answer