Jira Technical Issue after update

Philip van Veen July 19, 2017

Oops - an error has occurred

Technical details

Log's referral number: 72286abc-4d06-4d12-b7d0-9ed15e553c6c

Cause

Referer URL: Unknown

java.lang.RuntimeException: javax.servlet.ServletException: java.lang.RuntimeException: javax.servlet.ServletException: java.lang.RuntimeException: javax.servlet.ServletException: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: com.atlassian.jira.security.JiraAuthenticationContext.getLoggedInUser()Lcom/atlassian/crowd/embedded/api/User;

2 answers

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 20, 2017

This is a very common error to see when upgrading JIRA.  It happens because your JIRA installation still has the old plugin versions that cannot be loaded in the new version of JIRA.  But JIRA still tries to load these and you get this error.  Details on this are in this KB: 

Upgrading to JIRA 7 throws a NoSuchMethodError on com.atlassian.crowd.embedded.api.User

Removing the user plugins from that directory and restarting JIRA can get you past that error.

However.....

Also I would not recommend trying to upgrade any JIRA 6 or before version directly to any version of JIRA 7.2 or higher in a single upgrade.  There are known problems with trying to do this (especially if you run JIRA service desk).  Instead it's recommended to upgrade JIRA to a 7.0.x version first, and then make sure to upgrade all the plugins you need for that version.  Once complete you can then upgrade to the latest versions such as 7.3.x or the latest 7.4.1.  

Philip van Veen July 20, 2017

It would have been nice if JIRA has in this case catches any error from (3rd party) plugins and disables them, preferable automatically.

I will have a go today again and try to install latest 6.* version and from there I will go to 7.0 and then incrementally upgrade - just in case.

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 19, 2017

Is this JIRA Cloud or JIRA Server?

Philip van Veen July 20, 2017

Jira Software - Server

I tried to upgrade Jira 6.3.15 to the latest jira version which seemed fine but then suddenly this error appeared.

After several hours I managed to install a seperate version of 6.3.15 and run it through tomcat (instead of the installed service) and restored the database over the fresh installation

I am wondering if I have to incremental update to 6.4 and then the latest 6.4.14 and then to 7??

however, I had issues with the database as well after 7 complained regarding the collation of the 6.3 database which is set to: Latin1_General_CI_AS

Suggest an answer