Jira Software and the SAFe Requirements Model

Lasse Quorning October 12, 2018

Hi all

I haven't found the best way to model the SAFe requirements model into Jira (https://www.scaledagileframework.com/safe-requirements-model/). 

At its core, I want to have a hierarchy of Epics-Capabilities-Features-Stories-Tasks. 

Out of the box, Jira supports the following hierarchy: Epic-Story-Task. 

My only approach is to use issue linking to model Capabilities and Features, but it does not seem optimal. I have also earlier used the "Componenets" field as a Capability reference, however it cannot reference an issue, but just a tag.

Does anyone have experience with a working solution?

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bryan McMillan October 29, 2018

Lasse,

You can create as many levels of hierarchy as you wish above the renamed Epic that would then be called Feature.  For example, top level portfolio would be the "Portfolio Epic" and "Portfolio Enabler" and the next level down "Capability" and so on.  There is no limit to the number of Issue Types above the Feature.  Just keep in mind that it needs to be effective and simple otherwise people will not use it.

Regards,

Bryan

Lasse Quorning October 30, 2018

Thanks, Bryan. Looks like I should give that a try. I would like to have the Epic-Capability-Feature-Story hierachy (at minimum Capability-Feature-Story). 

Lasse Quorning October 30, 2018

BTW, are you planning Cloud hosting option?

0 votes
Bryan McMillan October 30, 2018

Hi Lasse,

We do SAFe implementations all the time but not to cloud.  Problem with Atlassian Cloud is that they hide the database so that you cannot get to it so our Epic to Feature Add-On will not work in cloud nor it is planned because of the limitations imposed by Atlassian.

So, could you still do hierarchies in cloud?  Yes, but you have to keep Epics and all their fruitful functionality where "Features" reside in the SAFe model.  That means creating other Issue Types that use different names than Epic.

Regards,

Bryan

0 votes
Bryan McMillan October 12, 2018

Lasse,

I am with cPrime and have implemented SAFe 4.0 and 4.5 models in Jira Server a good number of times.  We normally set that entire instance up with a number of additional Add-Ons.  The one you'll need to address the Epic/Feature issue is available here: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1218959/safe-epic-to-feature-translator-for-jira?hosting=server&tab=overview

This Add-On resolves the problem with renaming Epic to Feature as it does so that you get the hierarchy as documented in SAFe.  I have installed and used the SAFe Epic to Feature Add-On many times.  It works great!  Again, it is strictly for Jira Server and Data Center instances only.  It renames the Epic IssueType, the Epic name/link/color/etc. over to Feature throughout the Jira instance.  All of the functionality for Epic, now Feature, remains unchanged.  The name is also changed on the Agile Boards in the right places so from the end-user's point of view it all shows Feature.  So, instead of Epic Name, Epic Link, Epic Color, etc. it is Feature Name, Feature Link, Feature Color, and so on.

Regards,

Bryan

Lasse Quorning October 26, 2018

Hi Bryan

Thanks. It seems like that is what we are missing. How do you relate to Capabilities and Epics? I guess you don't introduce additional hierarchies?

0 votes
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 12, 2018

Hello @Lasse Quorning

I personally use the hierarchy - Initiative -> Epic - > Story - Sub-task

Before trying to model the SAFe requirements  in JIRA  we have to remember that the the Epic-Story hierarchy is very strongly built into the system and thus renaming either of them is not a good idea as it would lead to a poor user experience. And lot of plugins under the hood except this hierarchy to be in place as well. If you rename Epic to Feature just to be SAFe compliant then it can cause lot of confusion to users. 

This year at the Atlassian summit in Barcelona I did a talk to address some of these challenges, you might find it useful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvkDoe1gCCU

Thanks, @Tarun Sapra. Is "Initiative" a build-in entity in Jira? I cannot find it as a an element in a hierarchy. So, you have re-modelled the SAFe requirement naming?

From my understanding, I miss a componenent

Is it correct to assume that

• Initiative -> Epic?
  • ??? -> Capability
  • Epic -> Feature?

Right now we are in a big pre-analysis phase, defining the epics, capabilities and features for the programme.

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 12, 2018

Hello @Lasse Quorning

We created Initiative as a custom issueType

and this is how the SAFe model is mapped in JIra

Epic -> Feature - > Story (SAFe) - (In Jira) Initiative - > Epic - Story.

We didn't use the "capability" layer from the SAFe as it was adding an additional level of complexity when it comes to creating reports and writing JQLs for creating filters and dashboards.

Thus, we have used 3 level of hierarchy Program - > Project - > Team aka

Initiative -> Epic -> Story.

Initially to be in sync with SAFe we renamed Epics in Jira to be Features but that should not be done as it creates lot of issues as Epic Story link is tighly coupled in Jira. You can things like Epic panel, EPic link locked field, plugins except this link hence we have followed SAFe mode but used the hierarchy which is working best for us

Initiative -> Epic - > Story.

Thank you for your approach, @Tarun Sapra. I will definitely consider that. However, I am a bit concerned about how we will avoid the Capability level (at this point in time, we are analyzing 180 Capabilities). 

Maybe, other people have experiences with preserving the capability level, so I will keep the thread open for other people to chip in.

Thanks anyway Tarun! 

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 12, 2018

Sure @Lasse Quorning, in our case we merged some of capabilities in Initiatives and some with Epics in order to reduce the hierarchy levels.

Suggest an answer