Jira Software (Data Center) - offline mode / internet access

Dalibor Rokyta May 19, 2021

Dear community, I would like to know if our client could use Data Center Subsription on their instance behind the firewall, I mean without an internet output.

To involve you: We have a client, that is Ministry of Defense. So they have very strict security precautions. They would like to purchase a Data Center Subsription, but we need to know, if there is possibility to "hide" DC license of their cluster or server with DC license behind the Firewall.

The main question is, that license is for 12 or 24 months and to verify, if it is still valid, is it neccesary to have an internet throughput or is this "information" about the license validity included in the code/license key.

I am not sure, if I specify my question correctly, but I hope I did.

Thank you for your assistance.

Best Regards, Dalibor

2 answers

2 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Fazila Ashraf
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 19, 2021

Hi @Dalibor Rokyta 

Internet is not necessary to update the license or install the plugins.

You can download the plugins and license to your local machine and update them in the jira application via browser. 

Hope this helps!

Dalibor Rokyta May 19, 2021

Hi @Fazila Ashraf ,

so if they stay offline, for example after 12 months subsription expiracy, their instance notify that the subsription has expired and call them for a purchasing a new subsription? Thank you!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 20, 2021

The DC install will show warnings to admins about upcoming licence expiry, and Atlassian will email reminders to renew to you.

Once the licence expires, the system will go read-only, so make sure you pay attention to the warnings and emails.

Like # people like this
1 vote
Answer accepted
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 19, 2021

Just from experience I'm asuming that the expire date is embedded in the license key.

We on our instance block access to marketplace and internet as well. The moment you apply the license you should also see it "valid till date".

The system itself will be smart enough to block your instance the moment your license is no longer valid.

i've never really given it much thought but that's just from what I've noticed.

Suggest an answer