Jira Project Import: Sprints in Jira Agile boards not being populated

mastrofini March 15, 2015

Hello!

I had to migrate some projects from a Jira instance with Jira Agile to a new instance, which has exactly the same configuration. The source instance has some more data and I need to move such data to the new instance without restoring the entire backup.

I know that when importing projects, sprints and ranking are lost and now I need to manually restore them.

So, customfield table has its entry "Sprint" (id=10212), which is referred from table customfieldvalue with several entries of the type (issue, 10212, stringvalue)Issue clearly refers to the issue id (i.e. story id), while stringvalue, for custom field with id 10212, refers to the sprint id. In fact, in tableAO_60DB71_SPRINT, ids are the same as stringvalue values.

Also, I can see that sprints listed in AO_60DB71_SPRINT are correctly connected to their respective boards in AO_60DB71_RAPIDVIEW.

Finally, I copied the content of AO_60DB71_LEXORANK and AO_60DB71_ISSUERANKING from source to destination instance.

So, the roundtrip seems to be fine, but my issues are not correctly distributed across sprints.

What am I missing?

2 answers

1 vote
William Crighton _CCC_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 16, 2015

Manuel,

Including your JIRA & (most importantly) JIRA Agile version would be needed to really answer your question but I think the first place to look would be your customfieldvalue table. However, to hazard a guess the locked 'Sprint' custom field data which ties an issue to a sprint (again, only in more recent versions of JIRA Agile) is not migrated/imported by JIRA Project Import. To get the issues to appear in their proper sprints you need to 'manually' migrate those records - which is a pita, but essentially fairly easy - just remember to adjust the sequence_value_item.seq_id value (where seq_name = 'CustomFieldValue') to a higher value than the max(target.customfieldvalue.id) + count(source.customfieldvalue) records for source.customfieldvalue.customfield=10212 (in your case).

You also didn't mention how you migrated rapid boards or how you migrated your source.AO_60DB71_SPRINT  data (which references the rapid board as you say in your question) - doing this incorrectly would hose the target systems ability to properly display sprint data.

-wc

0 votes
Daisy Tam June 15, 2015

Manuel,

Are you successful in migrating the sprint & ranking? Can you share what did you do on the DB level?

Thanks

William Crighton _CCC_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 15, 2015

Yes, the migration was successful in merging the sprint history, open and future sprint information along with the ranking data. The ranking data was the easiest - just had to remove the records that were created by the indexer or something because we had JIRA Agile enabled during the project import phase and it (I'm guessing) had created a rank record for every issue it thought needed to be ranked. I don't have time now to go into greater detail but yet I'm open to sharing what we learned as time and interest allow. I won't be able to post the exact SQL, and so on, but I can provide some parts of the writeups we did to manage the process. -wc

mastrofini June 15, 2015

My migration was not successful in terms of allocation of stories to board columns, but I did map issues to their corresponding boards. However, I really cannot remember the exact sequence of steps and queries; I do remember that William's answer actually addressed my main issue.

Suggest an answer