Jira Project Automation skips some rules

Gian Israel Nampi May 19, 2021

Hello Everyone,

I have a Jira project automation that handles external clients who comment via mail to our internal Jira issue.

What is the expected behavior?

Our support will put the status to "Waiting for info" meaning a query is answered and need details or confirmation from the client and when the client responded via mail it will go to Jira comment then the Project Automation should start checking the rules then it will transition the status to "Pending"

What is the issue?

- There are multiple cases that match the rules but did not trigger the automation

- If I check-in audit logs of Jira Automation no records of the said incident even if I look in "No Actions Performed"

What troubleshooting I did?

- Created a separate Project Automation to determine which "Status" is failing still the same issue no records of the incident in the audit logs even if I look in "No Actions Performed"

Experience encountered before

I encounter this issue before where I noticed that if the user is in Group A but not in Group B it will not trigger the automation but sometimes the client is in both groups or sometimes just in 1 group. How am I going to fix this issue?  it's like the ruling for the group should match all which should be not.

Rule is

1. When: Issue commented

2. JQL Query = project = Project A

3. Status = Closed

4. A. Initiator = Group A, Group B

4. B. Initiator is one of = Jira Internal User (4)

4. C. Reporter = Group A, Group B (Same with Initiator = Group A, Group B)

5. Transition the Issue to Pending Action

Automation.PNG

3 answers

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 19, 2021

Hi @Gian Israel Nampi 

Although not directly related to your observed rule symptom, there is definitely some interaction between that comment added trigger and user condition testing in the rule engine. Regardless...

Two things to check:

• Is this a project scope rule (stored in the project) or global scope?  If it is in the project, you may delete that JQL condition as this can only run in the owning-project's scope.
  • Next, have you tried to split apart the user condition into three separate user condition tests?  Yes, it will be slower, and it will fault isolate which of the three conditions is not passing.

Best regards,

Bill

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 19, 2021

Hi Gian - Typically if a rule doesn't even fire at all, it is because you need to check the box in the Rule details for Check to allow other rule actions to trigger this one. 

There is probably another rule that is firing and then this one fires. That should take care of your problem.  :-)

Hi John,

Are you referring to this one? Allow Rule Trigger.PNGI have multiple project automation for this specific project so that means I will have to check this box for each?

But what if I have other project automation for other projects I can leave those box to uncheck as long as it is only 1 project automation for that project? is my understanding correct? I will give it a try

Thank You.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 19, 2021

Yes, that's the box. 

I would just update this one right now and see if it works. If it does, then you might want to look at testing all of the others through your normal process to see if they fire or not. If not, then you need to check the box for those as well. But it needs to be a thorough real life test. 

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 19, 2021

Are you saying that the rule doesn’t even trigger? That is the “When: issue commented?” step is not triggered? If so can you please share your precise when trigger details?

Most of the actions are "No Actions Performed" I check some and it is correct because of the user who comments does not belong to the group rules.

Audit Log.PNG

Success.PNG

However, those comments from the clients who belong to the group ruling should trigger the event don't even log in to audit logs.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 19, 2021

Yes I agree that regardless of who makes the comment it should trigger and you should see no actions performed log. Best thing I could tell you to do is to do a very controlled test in the two different user groups and edit out at the logs carefully. Make sure no other actions or comments are happening during this controlled test. 

Hi Jack,

Yes as discussed in my previous comment, I have tried this on the Statuses, so now I will then isolate per Groups. Yes, I noticed that edit my bad xD.

Thank You.

Suggest an answer