Jira Installation

mittalr July 12, 2017

Hi,

After following the JIRa installation multiple times, I am at a frustration level that the below error won't go away while setting up administrator account.

Cannot add user, all the user directories are read-only.

Has anybody resolved it or this product has become very difficult to install now.

3 answers

1 vote
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 12, 2017

You need to provide more information. What version of JIRA? What operating system? What database make and version? You must provide excerpts from the application log file as well. It most likely has much more information about your problem. This file is generally located in /var/atlassian/application-data/jira/log/atlassian-jira.log.

This is a common question, a quick search found several related questions on this site:

There are two potential problems that I would suggest checking out: 

• You're not using a supported platform: Your database type, version, or driver is WRONG. Check the supported platforms document for your database type, version, and driver.
  • You configured LDAP as a read-only directory. Then possibly disabled the internal directory?

It's also possible that your database is configured wrong. Did you set it correctly via the documentation? Perhaps the permissions on the database are wrong?

0 votes
mittalr July 13, 2017

Hello Steven,

I was able to figure out.  I had to enable further logging to determine that license wasn't getting saved. 

Inside data directory, there is a folder "attachments", it was missing. After restart, the configuration started working.

It seems the deployment testing wasn't done on the product, but anyway It working now. Hoping that the product doesn't have further issues.

Thanks

Rajesh

0 votes
mittalr July 12, 2017

thanks Steven for a quick response.

JIRA - 7.4.1

MySQL 5.6.34

Driver - mysql-connector-java-5.1.42-bin.jar

OS - Ubuntu 16.04

JDK - 1.8.0_131

Steps to Install -

1) Unzip the installation file.

2) setup jira home and db configuration file.

3) copy mysql connector jar file to lib folder

4) run ./startjira.sh file.

5) In browser - visit the address

6) On Create Administrator page, the above error shows up.

Please assist. 

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 12, 2017

Okay, nothing looks wrong there: It appears you have good versions of everything. Sorry! Can you validate that you configured the database correctly here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver074/connecting-jira-applications-to-mysql-881683181.html

Please obtain the log file as I mentioned before: This file is generally located in /var/atlassian/application-data/jira/log/atlassian-jira.log. When you receive the error in the browser, you should see information print in the log. This information is crucial.

Suggest an answer