Jira Installation Connection to SQL Server 2016 Error

Victor Pham January 10, 2018

Hi Everyone, I'm new to Jira 7.6 on my Windows Server 2012 and I'm trying to complete my first production installation. I did manage to install Jira with the initial built in database as a trial and that worked out fine and my team liked the product. We're now trying to install Jira into our SQL Server 2016. I know on the support page that only SQL Server 2008 and 2012 is officially supported but I read that 2016 is backwards compatible so it should also work. We setup the database in sql server 2016 and during the setup step, I tested the connection it connected just fine. Once I enter all the database information in and click on setup, the window browser throws an error  "http://localhost:8080/secure/errors.jsp".   When I go to the database and I see tables have been created in SQL Server 2016. Have anyone encounter this issue before?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 10, 2018

Hi Victor,

SQL Server 2016 is not one of the supported databases and thus we cannot be certain of any issues that may arise as a result of using it.  I have seen many examples where SQL Server 2016 was being used and even though it is "backwards compatible" it still does not work as expected and the issues can include startup issues, etc.

One suggestion I have seen from a user is to try running MS SQL 2016 in 2014 compatibility mode.  Another user in the same ticket says they have it running in 2016 Compatibility mode so each environment is going to be different and unless the Database is on a Supported version there could be any number of things going on that we cannot troubleshoot as we have not tested and cannot guess at the behavior.

At this time I would recommend using the supported version.  Setup a blank SQL 2012 database and then use the JIRA Configuration Tool to change the database to the supported version.

Cheers,

Branden

Victor Pham January 25, 2018

Thanks Branden. I changed it to 2016 Compatibility mode and it works now. 

somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 25, 2018

Awesome so it looks like it was the compatability mode that fixed it.  I'm happy to hear all is well now and reach out to us if you run into any other issues.

Suggest an answer