Jira Incoming Mail setup Issue

Nagarjun January 6, 2022

Hi All,

Right now we stopped the previous Incoming mail server that we configured before, now we are trying to change all the incoming mail ids to the new domain, so when we are trying to add incoming mail via SECURE_POP It is getting a "Connection refused" Error. Here we tried with organization Outlook mail IDs.

Incoming mail error.JPG

We tried with Gmail, Yahoo, and outlook as well but appeared same error

Could anyone help us what would be the reason for this?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 6, 2022

This is what it says it is - the email server is refusing to connect with the Jira server.

This could be a network issue, but it could also be that the mail server is not configured to allow the connection.  The most common problem is that you are giving it credentials for a user that does not exist, or the wrong credentials.

Nagarjun January 9, 2022

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-

Thanks for your reply,

We have configured the same credential with my personal Jira, it is working fine with the same credential.

yes, I think you are right it could be that the mail server is not configured to allow the connection.
Could you please help us with how can we set up the Jira server to allow the connection do we require any changes on Linux server-side?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Nagarjun. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 10, 2022

Well if you can connect from somewhere else with the same credentials, it must be the mail server!

I'm not a mail server expert, I know just enough to make one of mine work, and I don't know if it's the same as the one I know a little about.

There are two places to look though

Linux machines almost always have a firewall on them, you'll need to check that is not blocking incoming mail connections from various places.  They often have other security blacklisting stuff on them too, which can also block connections (I often use "fail2ban" which will block some access if the same place tries and fails to log in a few times)

The mail server - they all have configuration settings that are aimed at blocking spam relays and malicious users.  You'll need to check the settings for them.

Suggest an answer