Jira Gantt and Jira Agile - Epic Tasks Drilldown and Progress based on Story Point Value

Marios Michael January 14, 2014

Can Jira Gantt calculate Epic Progress based on Story point values? Can Epics be drilled down to display the Epic tasks?

Let me explain:

We are using Jira and Jira Agile following as much as possible the best practices as recommended by the Attlasian Team to make full use of the product.

As such we are using Epics to hold major works with taks held in the Epics with the breakdown, Sprints to plan these tasks and and basing our capacity planning and progress on Story Points rather than timed duration.

Various Epics have dependencies on each other and so a Gantt to view and manage our Epics and related tasks would be great.

I can see you have already added the concept of sprints in to the Gantt view which is great news, however is there, or are you planning to add the ability to monitor Epic progress based on completed tasks Story Points value?

Also would be essential to be able to drill down an Epic to show its tasks within the Gantt view, as the Epic itself is just the container when using it with Jira Agile.

Thanks a lot!

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Frank Polscheit
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2014
If you select an agile board, my Gantt-Chart v3.x displays that as illustrated within the following sample screenshot: each gantt bar is labeled by their related epic tag.
Focussing on EPICs as e.g. SCRUM project owner, you can do the following: define a JIRA filter for your project using JIRA's enhanced mode entering a JQL like "project = Test-Project ORDER BY Epos-Name". It is important, that you specify that ORDER BY clause to force grouping by the epic name! Taking this JQL, you have to adapt the project name as well as the name of the custom field "epic name" according to your language. Having created that filter, please switch to your project, select tab "Gantt-Chart" and choose your created filter to get a chart automatically grouped by epics.
As you can see, the epics duration and completion will be displayed, too (Epos-Name: -/- contains one sample having an aggregated completion of 50% based on issue TEST-1).
Currently, the progress (completion) is based on JIRA time tracking or can be configured to use a number customfield containing the percentage of done in combination of the original estimated effort in days.
Can you please send me an email at frank@polscheit.de, how you would like to use story points instead?
Regards,
Frank
Frank Polscheit
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 9, 2014

Within my Gantt-Chart v3.1.0, epic's progress will be displayed based on story points if available, now. Additionally, the epics planned start/end dates will be verified and updated within JIRA if necessary while rendering on Gantt-Chart.

Regards,
Frank

Jose M.
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 25, 2014

Just would like to know, if the Gantt-Chart requires a planned date for start and end of all issues. I guess, probably for the issue type Epic and Story yes, and no for other issues like Bug, Feature, Improvement. Is this correct?

Frank Polscheit
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 25, 2014

Hi Jose,

issue do not necessarily need planned start/end dates, but without them no gantt bar will be drawn within the gantt diagram on the right side as the duration cannot be determined (on the left side, they will be displayed with all their configured columns).

Regards,
Frank

1 vote
Marios Michael January 20, 2014

Epic progress to be calculated based on story points value of the Epic tasks Example:

• Epic has four tasks, Task-A = 8 Story Points, Task-B = 8 Story Points, Trask-C = 4 Story Points, Task-D = 4 Story Points (Total 24 Story Points in the Epic)
  • Once Task A and Task C are Resolved (12 Story Points Total Resolved) the Epic progress should be at 50%.
  • Task D gets resolved (now at 16 Story Points Resolved) the Epic Progress should be at 66%
Please let me know if there is something not clear.

Suggest an answer