Jira DB Connection refused (Connection refused)

Felix Böck May 9, 2019

Hello,

after I installed jira on my linux server and wanted to configure it via the web interface i have the following problems with the database:

Communications link failure The last packet sent successfully to the server was 0 milliseconds ago. The driver has not received any packets from the server.

Connection refused (Connection refused)

I've already read the help (https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/mysql-communication-link-failure-214338032.html and https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/surviving-connection-closures-861253055.html) but unfortunately I don't have the db.xml, probably because the communication to the database causes problems.

Can you please help me?

Thank you

greetings
Felix

1 answer

0 votes
Moses Thomas
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 9, 2019

@Felix Böck   Please  could you  provide  logs info  JIRA_HOME> /log/atlassian-jira.log  ?

so  that one can  help  because there  could  be several  reasons.

Andreas Schwarzmann May 16, 2019

@Felix Böckand I are still searching for a solution to this problem. Here is the log-data you demanded...

2019-05-16 09:57:14,392 http-nio-5050-exec-12 WARN anonymous 597x250x1 tvighg 192.129.26.16 /secure/SetupDatabase!default.jspa [webresource] cyclic plugin resource dependency has been detected with: com.atlassian.plugins.atlassian-plugins-webresource-plugin:context-path, stack trace: [jira.webresources:jira-setup, com.atlassian.auiplugin:ajs, com.atlassian.auiplugin:common-runtime, com.atlassian.plugins.atlassian-plugins-webresource-plugin:context-path, com.atlassian.auiplugin:aui-core, com.atlassian.auiplugin:split_aui.splitchunk.2a34183e72]
2019-05-16 09:57:14,392 http-nio-5050-exec-12 WARN anonymous 597x250x1 tvighg 192.129.26.16 /secure/SetupDatabase!default.jspa [webresource] cyclic plugin resource dependency has been detected with: com.atlassian.plugins.atlassian-plugins-webresource-plugin:context-path, stack trace: [jira.webresources:jira-setup, com.atlassian.auiplugin:ajs, com.atlassian.auiplugin:common-runtime, com.atlassian.plugins.atlassian-plugins-webresource-plugin:context-path, com.atlassian.auiplugin:aui-core, com.atlassian.auiplugin:split_aui.core]
2019-05-16 09:58:08,166 http-nio-5050-exec-18 ERROR anonymous 598x251x1 tvighg 192.129.26.16 /secure/SetupDatabase!connectionCheck.jspa [c.a.config.bootstrap.DefaultAtlassianBootstrapManager] Could not successfully test your database:
com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.CommunicationsException: Communications link failure

The last packet sent successfully to the server was 0 milliseconds ago. The driver has not received any packets from the server.
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:62)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:45)
at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:423)
at com.mysql.jdbc.Util.handleNewInstance(Util.java:425)
at com.mysql.jdbc.SQLError.createCommunicationsException(SQLError.java:990)
at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.<init>(MysqlIO.java:342)
at com.mysql.jdbc.ConnectionImpl.coreConnect(ConnectionImpl.java:2197)
at com.mysql.jdbc.ConnectionImpl.connectOneTryOnly(ConnectionImpl.java:2230)
at com.mysql.jdbc.ConnectionImpl.createNewIO(ConnectionImpl.java:2025)
at com.mysql.jdbc.ConnectionImpl.<init>(ConnectionImpl.java:778)
at com.mysql.jdbc.JDBC4Connection.<init>(JDBC4Connection.java:47)
... 3 filtered
at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:423)
at com.mysql.jdbc.Util.handleNewInstance(Util.java:425)
at com.mysql.jdbc.ConnectionImpl.getInstance(ConnectionImpl.java:386)
at com.mysql.jdbc.NonRegisteringDriver.connect(NonRegisteringDriver.java:330)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:664)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:247)
at com.atlassian.config.bootstrap.DefaultAtlassianBootstrapManager.getTestDatabaseConnection(DefaultAtlassianBootstrapManager.java:347)
at com.atlassian.jira.config.database.JdbcDatasource.getConnection(JdbcDatasource.java:211)
at com.atlassian.jira.config.database.DatabaseConfig.testConnection(DatabaseConfig.java:88)
at com.atlassian.jira.web.action.setup.SetupDatabase.testConnection(SetupDatabase.java:230)
at com.atlassian.jira.web.action.setup.SetupDatabase.doValidation(SetupDatabase.java:194)
at com.atlassian.jira.web.action.setup.SetupDatabase.doConnectionCheck(SetupDatabase.java:126)
... 3 filtered
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
at webwork.util.InjectionUtils$DefaultInjectionImpl.invoke(InjectionUtils.java:70)
at webwork.util.InjectionUtils.invoke(InjectionUtils.java:56)
... 2 filtered
at com.atlassian.jira.action.JiraActionSupport.execute(JiraActionSupport.java:63)
... 7 filtered
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:742)
... 49 filtered
at com.atlassian.jira.security.JiraSecurityFilter.lambda$doFilter$0(JiraSecurityFilter.java:66)
... 1 filtered
at com.atlassian.jira.security.JiraSecurityFilter.doFilter(JiraSecurityFilter.java:64)
... 31 filtered
at com.atlassian.jira.servermetrics.CorrelationIdPopulatorFilter.doFilter(CorrelationIdPopulatorFilter.java:30)
... 24 filtered
at com.atlassian.jira.servermetrics.MetricsCollectorFilter.doFilter(MetricsCollectorFilter.java:25)
... 25 filtered
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.TaskThread$WrappingRunnable.run(TaskThread.java:61)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
Caused by: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused (Connection refused)
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)
at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.doConnect(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:350)
at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:206)
at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connect(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:188)
at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.java:392)
at com.mysql.jdbc.StandardSocketFactory.connect(StandardSocketFactory.java:211)
at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.<init>(MysqlIO.java:301)
... 175 more

Moses Thomas
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 16, 2019

@Andreas Schwarzmann  @Felix Böck 

On ther command line  verify  that server is running.

type  the below command  to  check

systemctl status mysql.service  

if you don't see  Active(running)  ....   then type below command to  restart it.

sudo systemctl start mysql   OR    sudo service mysql restart 

Also check  whether you have the Mysql  Java  connector  downloaded.

this connector which  is a .jar file  should be in the 

<Confluence_home>/confluence/WEB-INF/lib/

see more info  here:  https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/database-jdbc-drivers-171742.html

I checked the status of the mysql.service and it is running properly. I also put the MySQL-Java-Connector to the right place which should be at /opt/atlassian/jira/lib according to this manual: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/connecting-jira-applications-to-mysql-5-7-966063305.html#ConnectingJiraapplicationstoMySQL5.7-driver.

I will try to put the MySQL-Java-Connector in this folder to make it work: /opt/atlassian/jira/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/lib - despite it is not mentioned in the manual above.

Besides we managed to get a new error which says: "This MySQL-Instance is not configured properly. Please follow the instructions for MySQL 5.7+".

The initial error disappeared when I changed the hostname from localhost to the corresponding ip-address of the server.

I put the MySQL-Java-Connector to /opt/atlassian/jira/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/lib and we still geht the error: This MySQL-Instance is not configured properly. Please follow the instructions for MySQL 5.7+.

Finally it works after I managed to configure the my.cnf-File properly. Nevertheless the actual solution was to replace the hostname from "localhost" to the ip-address.

Like # people like this
Moses Thomas
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 16, 2019

@Andreas Schwarzmann  Great i am  glad you  are able to  fix  this problem

Like Felix Böck likes this
Moses Thomas
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 11, 2020

@Andreas Schwarzmann  Please mark  this issue as resolved.

Kind  regards,

MO

Suggest an answer