Jira/Confeluence Backup

Dawid Ankowski September 1, 2022

Hello,
In my company, we are planning to migrate from Jira/Confluence on-premise to the cloud version. One of the steps is to test cloud backups.
In the backup manager, I can see information that backups contain ALL data from Confluence and Jira.
Before we will test it, I would like to ask you if indeed all data is migrated 1:1 - like workflows, permission schemes, issue schemes, automations, purchased apps, etc.
I know that after backup import all data is overwritten, so that's why I would like to make 100% sure that all data will be imported.
I would really appreciate it if someone with experience in this topic could share some thoughts.

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 1, 2022

Hi @Dawid Ankowski 

Are we talking of you performing a Site import migration going by the comments about Backup?

I would recommend you read the following: https://support.atlassian.com/migration/docs/cloud-migration-methods-for-jira/ to understand what will be migrated for JIRA based on the selected process you decide to use. (Most importantly, note that you will never have a like for like and some data will likely be lost or need to be manually rebuild because the solutions are currently not perfect.)

In particular if you use the site import, note that all app data will be lost as this method cannot migrate application/add-on data.

Start your planning from here

Wishing you all the best.

Hello @Ismael Jimoh
No, no. The whole migration from on-premise to cloud is not my job in this case.
Let's say that migration is done and all data is in the Atlassian Cloud.
After this, I would like to test the backup and restore plan and my question is if I will import backup for Jira and Confluence ALL data will be restored? Nothing will change compared to sites before backup import?

Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 1, 2022

Ah! Thanks for the clarification.

I would say it depends.

If the data is restored to the same server then I would expect a like for like. If however you are restoring to a different server, due to how add-ons at times store data outside of Atlassian, I would explore what the impact would be in this case.

You may need to do a bit more is my suspicion such as connecting to the  vendor service for these items to work again.

I understand.
Thank you @Ismael Jimoh !

Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 1, 2022

Adding to that, you can also reach out to any add-on vendors for add-ons you own and ask them directly how this is handled for them.

You are welcome.

I will keep this in mind! I also found information that Jira automation rules are not imported.

2 votes
Mike Potter September 1, 2022

@Dawid Ankowski My company Rewind has a completely managed service for backing up Jira and Confluence (and Trello and Github, with support for Bitbucket and Jira Service Management coming soon). Over 100,000 companies have trusted us with their data. We have over 1,000 5-star reviews for our products, are SOC 2 compliant and have raised over $65M from leading investors like Bessemer and Insight Ventures Partners. 

You can learn more about our Jira and Confluence backups at https://rewind.com/products/backups/development/

0 votes
Piotr Biegun _Gitprotect_io_ September 1, 2022

@Dawid Ankowski I'm currently working on a case with restoring Jira Cloud from a backup using the Tempo add-on. It could be helpful also in your case. As @Ismael Jimoh   wrote, add-ons like Tempo host data on their database, separated from Jira Cloud database.

Suming up we need to back up data from both DBs simultaneously to keep data consistent and recover them in the right order to ensure that everything works correctly. It's a more significant issue with a workaround that could work for some people.

FYI. I work for Gitprotect.io, which automates Jira Cloud backup.

Dawid Ankowski September 2, 2022

@Piotr BiegunThanks for your answer. Tempo is a perfect example of problems that we may encounter after restoring the backup!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events