Jira Cloud performance is very bad, issue history request takes 13 seconds to complete.

Michal Turecki May 20, 2020

We have been experiencing this problem for some time but it is getting worse each day. We even looked at Jira alternatives already but besides performance Jira is doing the job well.

Issues are really slow to load most of the time! Sometimes timeout error dialog pops up, otherwise it takes tens of seconds to load issues, navigate view etc.

Check below how long it takes for some requests to finish.

jira-slow.png

We migrated to cloud from on-premises installation to have frequent updates and get moust out of Jira but I start to regret it as clearly oversubscription on Jira Cloud is set to a ridiculously high instance per server value.

Is it the common problem for others, the way things just should work? Or is it affecting only our Jira installation as we have a team of less than 10 people using Jira on a daily basis?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 20, 2020

for cloud performance issues I highly recommend you reach out to Atlassian support directly. They are the only ones that have access to log into your system and inspect what might be going on. 

Thanks for replying, as far as I know with less than 10 active users we don't have any support plan but maybe it changed - I will check.

I successfully submitted the support request, thanks for your suggestion!

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 20, 2020

your product plan say Standard. If indeed you are on Free plan then you are correct. Less that 10 users does not necessarily mean you are on free plan. I will note that I have found my instance slower than normal and I am wondering if it is the recent updates that have compromised performance (new navigation). I have been planning to open a support request to have them assess but wanted to give it a few days to see if it continues. The numbers you show do seem high. What are you using to capture? It doesn't look familiar to me but guess you are comfortable w/ the accuracy?

It is the standard browser development tools (I use Firefox, Chrome has very similar features). Just press F12 and go to the network tab and then start your navigation to see how long request will take to finish.
It looks like static requests (css, html, js etc.) are fast enough (not brillant though) but dynamic requests from the database (api) are much slower and sometimes as bad as on the example above.

Justin Higgs May 20, 2020

Came here looking for answers to the same issue. We've been using Jira Cloud for years at work and since the latest release, performance on FF is abysmal. It takes upwards of 4 seconds to load a ticket in a board and there's insane lag on clicking and dragging tickets/cards across columns on next-gen board. Almost unusable.

Like # people like this
1 vote
Lee Irwin May 20, 2021

Hi, since the push to the New Jira Cloud view our whole team has been slowed down. 

We have been advised by support that a fix is coming in Q4 but does anyone else have any tips in the meantime? We're losing so much time due to loading issues. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 20, 2021

It’s hard to say exactly what may be going on in your instance. I haven’t experience unreasonable performance of late in my instance. What I would recommend is that you reach out to Atlassian support directly and see if they can login and have a look at your instance. If it is truly running slow there may be something they can do such as increased RAM on your VM. 

Lee Irwin May 20, 2021

It's shockingly slow. We have reached out to Atlassian support and they have advised that they are aware of the issue and it will be fixed in Q4 2021. They gave the same answer on previous tickets from other users advising of the same issue. 

Very poor support all round. Considering they're pushing people to use this product its not fit for purpose in it's current state. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 20, 2021

That is very interesting. I am intrigued and would love to know if there is a Jira  ticket open on this. Did they happen to reference such a ticket or at least explain what the issue is? I am simply not seeing this performance issue that you seem to be suffering through and I’m interested in knowing if it’s something that I may experience in the future for some reason.

Lee Irwin May 20, 2021

They marked the ticket as "solved" as its due to be fixed in Q4 2021. Its simply not good enough, as an organisation we have have multiple projects and almost 70 concurrent users in the Projects area. It wasn't slow on Server for obvious reasons, we were then advised about Cloud and that this was the way forward. We made the switch and its been disappointing, continuous connection issues, failure to save items, x-ray integration falls over etc... 

We contacted X-Ray and they advised of the increased number of Java requests related to old stories, tickets etc...as Atlassian had originally advised us it was an X-Ray issue. After a thorough investigation Atlassian admitted fault and it was something that is on their roadmap. They even sent me the roadmap, but advised of no fix soon. 

Their advice - try not to upload, screenshots, documents, wireframes etc...Cloud currently can't handle that.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 20, 2021

Ah, it seems X-ray is the variable here that I do not have. Best of luck here. 

Lee Irwin May 20, 2021

No. The point is when x-ray is not active its still just as slow...we tested with both instances. 

Daniel1 Wade September 9, 2021

We're experiencing the same slowness.  To me it feels like performance has gotten worse gradually since 2020.  We access Jira from a number of locations.

I really hope there is a fix in Q4.

Alan Telford October 12, 2021

We moved to JIRA cloud at the start of September 21, from on Premise. The performance seems significantly worse even though the hardware of the on-premise implementation was probably getting old.

Marcel Gromball October 15, 2021

We also experience this issues for a few feeks already. Just opened a ticket.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events