Jira Cloud for Excel, How can I copy an export to provide the same fields but use a separate filter?

Paul M_ Brunner February 3, 2021

I have a common sheet that I export my Jira data to use Jira Cloud for Excel. I would like to create a second tab that exports the same fields, but uses a different filter.

How can I copy over the field list and just point to a different filter? I am using many more fields than the default provided by the tool.

3 answers

0 votes
Paul M_ Brunner February 9, 2021

Thank you.

0 votes
Paul M_ Brunner February 8, 2021

My end goal is to have 1 excel file for all Jira extracts. Open this one file, update the data in it. This data is used as a data source for multiple excel power queries / pivots. I would like the instructions to go to this TAB and hit update.

One tab is driven to represent to backlog, a separate tab is to identify the stories in the current sprint and another is to measure grooming activities over multiple sprints. Each has its own filter to ensure the correct content is driven into the appropriate reports.

Case 1

1) In my workbook  I have a TAB and the Jira Could for Excel has 46 fields.

2) In excel I copy a TAB. The moment I copy the TAB the fields are reset.

Case 2

1) I change the filter and the fields are retained, but this means it requires multiple workbooks to update.

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 4, 2021

Hi Paul,

I am not sure that you can export a second filter to another tab in the same Excel worksheet, but here's how I would probably go about it.

1. Create your filter with the columns you want and then export that. I think you have already done this step. :-)

2. Edit that same filter to change your query and execute it to see your results. It should keep the same columns. 

3. Then do a Save As on this filter and give this filter a new name.

4. Then export the results of this new filter (or just open in Excel).

5. Then cute the results of the latest filter in the new instance of Excel and past it in a separate tab in the original Excel worksheet that has the results of the first query. 

I hope that works for you!

Paul M_ Brunner February 6, 2021

Hello John,

I tried that. It seems for me that moving over to a different workbook or tab and changing the filter resets it back to the default. For me the default has ~20 fields and what I need are ~46. That is a lot of data entry in a specific order.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 7, 2021

Create your filters first - and save each one before trying to export them. Then export each filter one at a time. 

Paul M_ Brunner February 8, 2021

I tried that. I copied the tab I wanted as a reference over. At the time I copied the TAB the fields were reset.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 8, 2021

Okay, I think I am confused now. Can you walk me through each step that you did and where it is breaking down?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 8, 2021

You are not going to be able to update a single workbook from two different filters automatically. You can run one filter and open in a workbook, and then run the other filter and open in a workbook, then copy one workbook into the other. That's about it. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events