Jira Cloud Performance vs Jira Data Center Performance

Mike June 14, 2022

Hello Folks,

We are exploring Jira software versions, Data center and Cloud. We have a pretty big userbase somewhat around 10k users, Out of which, we could end up having at least 4k concurrent users.  We cant use Jira software as is, but procure plugins to fulfill our requirements, that way we might have at least 15 to 20 plugins installed.  

With this current set up, which version of Jira is best suited for us? please do share your experience on this. Our prime importance is to have decent performance for our users and not make them wait long for issues to load. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 14, 2022

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

There's no way to answer that.  We'd need a lot more information on how you are using Jira, or more importantly, how you want to be using Jira, and what factors matter when it comes to what you want to have control over and/or maintain (including price).

Performance is not something you should be worried about directly.  It's your control over the factors you need to consider.

On Cloud, you have control over which region your service is in (put it in the one physically nearest to the largest number of your end users), and you should avoid poor configuration.

On server/DC, you have control over those two as well, but you're also in charge of the hardware, network, software and and and...

Mike June 16, 2022

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

Thanks for your response.

Well, we do want the privilege to offload the server maintenance using cloud but with all the speculations around Cloud performance taking a lot of beating is making us indecisive.

We do have users across the world but majority of users are situated one place hence it is wise to pick our regions around the same. But is this enough? i also understand with Cloud, scaling is not a problem but we anyway don't know the Cloud server configuration, at what point scaling kicks-in? how does this affect cost? do we get any clarity on these lines as a paid user on Jira? Is it possible that i can get the cloud configuration details for the subscriptions that i have purchased?

Also another question, if we choose to use Cloud for now and incase we are not satisficed with the performance, it is possible to migrate from Cloud to data center? Can  we migrate everything from Cloud to Data Center seamlessly? How long would it take? (it could be influenced by the size but just need ballpark figure) 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 17, 2022

i also understand with Cloud, scaling is not a problem but we anyway don't know the Cloud server configuration,

You don't need to, that's one of the points of Software as a Service!

> at what point scaling kicks-in?

Last time I asked about this, Atlassian monitors the usage (not performance per se) of your system, and autoscales it to match your usage once a week.

>how does this affect cost? 

It doesn't.  Your number of active users and apps installed affect the cost, not the scale of the service.

> Is it possible that i can get the cloud configuration details for the subscriptions that i have purchased?

What "details"?

> if we choose to use Cloud for now and incase we are not satisficed with the performance, it is possible to migrate from Cloud to data center?

Yes.  I'm doing that for a client at the moment.  It's actually easier that going from Server/DC to Cloud.

The ease of migration of Cloud to DC is directly related to complexity.  If you've not used apps other than the off-the-shelf ones, then your migration is "move all your team-managed projects to company-managed projects (or delete them), export, import, fix up the user access, done"

Like Mike likes this
Mike June 21, 2022

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  thanks for your answers.

Can you please share a bit more on cost affecting the number of users and apps installed? 

Also, are you using a plugin to migrate data from Cloud to Data center? if yes, which one? if no, pls share the mechanism used?

Thanks again for the help. Cheers :) 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 21, 2022

Jira's licence/subscription tiers are shown at https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/pricing and when you buy apps for it, they have to be licenced/subscribed-to at the same number of sers.

No, we're not using an app directly for the migration, a backup of Cloud can be restored to Server/DC surprisingly easily.  (We're then using an app to take a sub-set of projects to DC, as we don't need all the Cloud ones)

Like Mike likes this
Mike June 22, 2022

thanks @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

I have few questions regarding app development for Cloud Jira version:-

1. if we use Forge platform to develop plugins and if we might also have our own custom REST service reading data outside Jira tool, how will this be managed? As in, App will be hosted by Atlassian but how about the REST services? will this be taken care by Atlassian as well? or we should take care of hosting the REST API? please advise 

2. In the last Atlassian developer event, we noticed quite a lot of improvement towards Forge, is this an indication that some day Connect will be grounded? 

3. What's the best way to store custom data?  We could use database for storing custom data but what about hosting it in production environment for Forge? what's the best practice?

4. Is it possible that we can debug apps in our local environment via Connect without NgRok? 

5. For hosting Forge apps on  Atlassian, do we get charged for that?

thanks 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 22, 2022

1.  It gets complex, I'm afraid you'll need to read through the Forge dev docs to get an answer for this, as it will be determined by what your code actually does.

2.  My understanding is that both will continue for the foreseeable future, but the aim is to bring them together so that you barely need to care.

3 and 4.  I'm not a real developer, I've scribbled stuff for both, and debugged enough to blame the right culprit without working out exactly how to fix it , but those questions are beyond me.

5. The customer gets charged via their subscription to Cloud and the apps on it.

Like Mike likes this

Suggest an answer