Jira Automation - roll up all epics end dates to parent end date

Andy Souvalian September 15, 2022

Hello,

Sorry if I don't follow a prescribed protocol, this is my first time posting on this site.  I am looking to start working with automations.  I have a list of things I want to do with them, but I first wanted to find out how to roll up the due date of the latest epic within a group up to the parent.  Our hierarchy starts at the top with Initiative, then rolls down to capability and then to Epic  (Initiative->Capability->Epic->story).  I have a group of Epics that belong to a Capability and when the due dates are added for all these epics, I would like an automation that would take the latest due date in that group and role it up to it's parent (capability).  If it's possible, I would want this rule to trigger on two conditions:

1. All Epics have a due date

2. The parent (in this case a Capability) is in the status of ToDo.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Andy

1 answer

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 15, 2022

Hi @Ando - ibs000 

What have you tried thus far for your rule?  If you are just getting started, please review this documentation and examples:

Once you have a overview of rules, please take a look at the Lookup Issues action use with JQL.  That will allow you to gather all of the child epics, sorted by Due Date, and then you can grab the one you want.

Regarding triggers, you may want to cover these cases with different rules:

1. an epic is created and it has a parent capability
  2. an epic is edited and its parent capability changed: for this case, both the new and old capability will need updates
  3. an epic is edited, it has a parent capability, and its due date is changed

Kind regards,
Bill

Suggest an answer