Jira Automation Schedule Triggers Timing

RJAS July 14, 2020

I understand that with JIRA automation you can create a rule that triggers off every day, and that using cron expressions you can get a bit more granular and specify a time -- but I am wondering what the default config is if you choose a daily trigger. Does the sequence begin 24 hours after created, at the start of the next day based on a timezone etc? Just trying to figure out if it is necessary to specify a time or not 

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 14, 2020

Hi Ryan - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

That's actually a really good question and one that I don't know the answer to. I am thinking it is 24 hours from when you turn on the rule. But not sure.

The best thing I can tell you is create a test, turn it on, record the time and then see when the email comes to you.  :-)

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 14, 2020

Yes, and... Ryan, you could shorten your experiment time-frame to run more frequently (every X minutes) and then check the audit log to see what is happening.  Once you understand it, change back to your preferred schedule.

Like Daniel Brvnišťan likes this
Jasmin Müller February 3, 2021

Tested it today and can confirm this.

Scheduled every x days/hours/minutes starts from when you turn on the rule.

Like # people like this
Martin Finnegan August 1, 2022

Do you happen to know if you manually trigger it if that resets it or if it will maintain the original timing from when it was first created?

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 1, 2022

Hi @Martin Finnegan -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

As with many things automation rule-related, I recommend: go try this and observe what is happening.

John notes the schedule starts when the rule configuration is saved (i.e. rule edit).  I have seen other things with rules where the configuration changing drives behavior, but I would still test this...

• Perhaps set a 5 minute schedule,
  • let the rule run on schedule,
  • wait 2 minutes and run manually, and
  • then watch what happens next.

Kind regards,
Bill

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL