Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Jira Automation - Execution counts towards limit.

Hi,

Using Jira Standard, I have an automation rule to keep statuses of cross project issues in sync.  Simple enough.

Screenshot 2021-06-16 140837.png

However, every time an issue is transitioned, regardless of it matching the criteria, and within any project, the rule runs and counts towards one of my 500 executions per month.  So in two days I have exhausted all 500 global rule executions and not once has the rule actually executed to completion.

This seems very wrong.

Have I missed something in specifying the rule correctly?

Thanks,
JonC

2 answers

2 votes
Jack Community Leader Jun 16, 2021

No you aren’t missing anything. Unfortunately executions are counted regardless of success or the conditions. It is based on a trigger if the event triggers it decrement your 500 count.

Hi @Jonathan Cunliffe 

Yes, and... to what Jack notes about the global/multi-project execution limits, I wonder how you are using that automation rule.

Your rule describes linked issues in multiple projects, and when one issue of Dependency type transitions, all of linked issues do also.  That seems to indicate those issues are just for visibility rather than for tracking work progress.  In that use case have you instead considered a shared multi-project board (in a company-managed project)?  Dependencies could be viewed and there would be no need to use global rule executions.

Best regards,

Bill

Thanks gents.  I've not come across multi-project boards so will look that up. 

You're right in your suggestion Bill in that the dependency issues are just for visibility.  Project A has a task (A) that is dependent on project B.  PM of A creates two dependencies, one in each project and links them.  They also link their task (A) to the dependency issue in their project.  The PM of B can see another project has placed a dependency on them and can link and control the activities to meet that dependency in full, isolated control of project A.  Reporting is very easy and can show all in/out bound dependencies.  The automation comes into play when the dependency is 'Done' or perhaps 'Cancelled' and syncs the status between proj a and proj b.

I thought this was quite an elegant and straight forward solution to the eternal nightmare that can be cross project dependencies.  Without the automation it can still of course work but just requires someone to remember to change both of the dependency issues.  Not the end of the world but pound to a penny it will get forgotten.

Cheers,
Jon C

Thanks for explaining, @Jonathan Cunliffe   Regarding the "multi-project board", what I was suggesting was something like the following for the shared board:

• Rather than use an issue type of Dependency, link the issues which are dependent.  Perhaps creating a link type of "dependency", or using the existing "blocks" and "is blocked by"
  • Create and save a filter for impacted issues
project IN (project-A, project-B)
AND issueType IN (story, bug, task)
AND issueLinkType IN ("dependency")
AND statusCategory != Done
ORDER BY Rank
  • Create a new Kanban board based upon that filter, storing it in a company-managed project
  • Adjust the board's status mapping to reflect how you want to summarize/visualize workflow between the teams

This board shows the open, dependent work.  When you need a report on that, use the same saved filter.  And, the project managers would not need to create issues in each other's team project, only create/manage the links.

Hi @Bill Sheboy , this is terrific and I'll give it a try first thing.

Thank you, very much appreciated.

Cheers,
Jon C

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
0 votes
Clark Everson Community Leader Jun 16, 2021

Hi Jon,

Can you screenshot the audit log if there's anything there. Also have you yourself made any other rules. Also do you have other automations in your instance? Unless you're on Premium the 500 rule is for all users. With Premium it's 1000 per user, not per software. So the limit may have been caused by another user. If this is a tool you use often you would want to look into Jira Cloud Premium.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Jira-Automation-usage-limits/qaq-p/1331233

Best,

Clark

Hi Clark,

Here's the log.

Screenshot 2021-06-16 175721.png

This is the only global/multi-project rule we have as can be seen in the usage log.

Screenshot 2021-06-16 202325.png

I'm guessing it's just the way it is with the Standard subscription however it doesn't seem to be the fairest policy from Altassian considering my rule never actually got executed to full completion.

Jon C

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Trello

🏊‍♀️ Atlympic Event: Trello

Hello Community!  Quick disclaimer: We are running a contest on Community (The Atlympics!) from July 23rd - August 8th of 2021. If you are interested in participating in this contest (prizes! ...

134 views 2 12
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you