Jira Api queries

Bhargavi April 17, 2021

In our jira project we need to populate custom field values from an external application(Text fields).For that we have a Soap Api to make use of.I am not really aware  of how to use Soap Api in jira.The idea is to add this api call on field behaviours.

However while going through Jira Soap Api I came across articles stating Soap Api is deprecated in Jira.

Could anyone please help me understand if we can use Soap Api in latest versions of Jira Server.

Any examples of the script also helps as I am a beginner on this.

Thanks in Advance!!

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 18, 2021

There's two things you might be talking of here, probably easiest to think of them as "incoming" and "outgoing" relative to Jira.

SOAP is a method Jira used to have to enable "incoming" - meaning another system wants to talk to Jira, it pokes it over the SOAP API to ask Jira questions or give it commends.

SOAP was deprecated in Jira years ago and removed shortly afterwards, if you wish to use incoming now, you need to use the REST API to talk to it.

"Outgoing" is where Jira talks to another system.  Jira has webhooks in it that allow simple configuration that when something happens in Jira, it can poke other systems over a URL.  If that system is using SOAP to provide its external interfaces, then you can use SOAP urls to do it.  Or REST, or anything else.  You can also code with scripting languages to build any calls you need, or use Apps that can make the remote calls you want.

Bhargavi April 18, 2021

We need to populate custom field values from external application when issue is created in my Jira project.

So In my case I can use external Soap Api to connect with jira as this comes under Outgoing scenario.

Thanks for your response!!This info really helps.Please correct me if my understanding is wrong.

Also any references on soap api calls into jira is much appreciated.

Thanks again!!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 18, 2021

So what version of Jira are you on?  Only very old (certainly out of support) versions have a SOAP API. 

To get Jira to talk to over systems by making SOAP based calls to them, you're probably going to need to look at coding.  What calls does the other system require from Jira?

Bhargavi April 18, 2021

We are on Jira 8.13.4.We don't need to populate any data from Jira into other systems.

We just need to update 3 fields in jira automatically on issue creation.This data presents on other application.

We are trying to have an update in jira issues from the soap web service.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 18, 2021

There is no soap web service in Jira 8.

If it's just updating issues in Jira locally on create, I'm very confused on why you are asking about the soap service?

Bhargavi April 18, 2021

We need to send a ticket number from jira to another application through soap api and receive the response  from it.The response from soap api needs to be populated on fields.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 19, 2021

Ok, so you'll need to find documentation on how to use the SOAP API in the other application and then write code for Jira so it can make the required calls.

All we can tell you about here on the Jira side is that you can use webhooks to hit urls in the remote system, and if you want to be more clever (like update Jira data or make those calls at other times) you'll need to write code in Jira to do so,

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events