Jira Agile - cannot rank issues even with Schedule Issue permission

Jonathan Scheiding June 24, 2014

I am trying to allow members of the "Project Users" project role to re-order issues in the backlog in JIRA Agile.

I have added the "Schedule Issues" permission to the "Project Users" role in my default permission scheme (which is used for all projects); and I have set the JIRA Agile add-on configuration to use "Scheduling Permission". I've confirmed that the user I'm testing with does have the "Schedule Issues" permission on all projects; however, when trying to re-order the backlog this user gets the message "You do not have permission to edit this issue."

Even if I also give this user the "Resolve Issues" permission, he still cannot re-order the backlog.

My boards are all Scrum boards, and I am using JIRA 6.1.7 with JIRA Agile 6.3.13.1.

Does anybody know what I might be missing? Thanks so much for your help!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 24, 2014

Can the user also directly edit the issue? Go to the standard Jira issue view and look to the top left - do they have "edit" as a button on the menu bar?

I'd expect "project users" to have that, but it might be more complex than that.

Jonathan Scheiding June 25, 2014

Thanks for your response!

No, they can't edit the issue. They can only do a few things like add comments and attachments.

Adding the "Edit Issues" permission to the "Project Users" role does solve the problem, but I don't want my project users to have that permission. According to the JIRA Agile docs it seems like it shouldn't be necessary.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 25, 2014

I'm afraid you're stuck then. The rank of an issue is part of the core issue data and hence you need to be able to edit the issue in order to rank it. I find the Agile docs a bit hazy on that - I can't see anything that clearly states whether you need edit either way.

Chris Hayden March 24, 2016

In my case, even with the Edit button enabled I'm still not able to order the tickets.  sad

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 24, 2016

You have ranking enabled and schedule permission?

Chris Hayden March 24, 2016

Yes, but I just figured out the problem. I have two roles:

1. The "support" role that has access to all the projects. 
  2. The "clientX" role that is used by the customer and has access just to its own project. 

I was defining the roles of my "projectX" and I ended up putting both users in the same role "clientX". This limited the "support" access to the board, since the "clientX" user has just read-only access to its own board.

Now I put "support" related to the Administrators of the project role and this fixed the problem.

Suggest an answer