Jira Agile Kanban & versions? Alt. adding custom types / fields to issue form

Peter Frandsen December 9, 2013

Hi
Only found old answers to this online / here. So asking it again...

Best way to implemente the use of "Versions" in a Kanban board?

Background:
Found Kanban to suite us better than Scrum in most parts, but have not yet found a way to implement "versions".

We work w iOS App development and the projects are contained of many issues (both our own and service desk (app support)) that needs to be solved within in a specific version (App v1.0, App v1.1 etc) and if they are not solved, they should move to the next version.

Also, we need to keep all issues, support-issues, notes etc attached to each released version. Both when working w the version and after it's been released.

Any suggestions or how-to's?

THX // "Jira Agile newbee"

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Kim Poulsen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 10, 2013

Hi Peter

I suggest you use the Jira Versions as, well versions :-) So in Jira you will have "App v1.0" etc. These versions are great because you can track which issues are planned for a certain version, you can release the version and get a template for release notes and you can archive the version when it is irrelevant to watch.

In addition you get a roadmap sectin on your project. All in all Jira Versions are good.

Now issues that do not make it into a release when you cut it must of-course be reassigned to a different version. I sense you want this to happen automatically. I haven't seen any such mechanism and in my mind it also contradicts any attempt to plan a release of anything up-front.

Use fixVersion to designate the version some issue was fixed/implemented+tested to get it logged in a certain version. Use it for planning by assigning the "must have's" up-front and use it for the issues that were incoming (like bugs) during the release cycle by assigning the fixVersion when the bug issue was closed.

Use the affectsVersion field to tell which version of the app the bug was found in. I would not use this field for anything but bugs/support issues (i.e. not for new features).

The third part is that you should never edit issues in a released version. You would create a App v1.1 version instead and start planning for this.

Do ask if I am not too clear.

BR,

Kim

Peter Frandsen December 11, 2013

Thanks Kim for your help!

I assume, you mean the fields in the issue creator window ("Components" / "Affects Versions" / "Fix Versions")? But they don't seem to be availible to me (though I'm adm), not clicable just says "None".

Screenshot (not shure if it works via this forum, use link below otherwise);(https://www.dropbox.com/s/ak8zpuzggqg0h2z/Screen%20Shot%202013-12-12%20at%2012.23.57.png)

Issue creator form

Since I'm a newbee of Jira, there might be some obvius things I missed?
Do I maybe have to pre-define some App versions etc somewhere else before creating an issue and asigning it to a version? OR does this not work in KanBan boards and only in Scrum bopards? It's a "make or break" feature for us...

Any help appriciated since I'm evaluting Jira right now.

0 votes
Peter Frandsen December 11, 2013

Oooppps - I wrote to soon... ;-)

Just found out that I can add "Versions" etc in the Administration tab of my KunBan board and then I can add versions etc to my new issues.

Jira is a "monster" to learn with just SO many parts, things, concepts and options to understand. Don't really have time for it now, just wanna get it running to support my development in the KIS way possible...

Kim Poulsen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 11, 2013

Happy Jira'ing :-) And yes, This tool is a dream toolbox of opportunities and starting in s KIS(S)-fashion is definitely the way to go.

I am glad you could use my answer.

BR, Kim

0 votes
Peter Frandsen December 9, 2013

...or maybe I can just set up two custom fields in the Issues creation form instead?
- One field "Version" which the issue is related to.
- And add one new type of field to the issue-type, being "Note".

Is this possible / a viable solution to solve this?

Suggest an answer