Jira Agile - Epic time tracking

Zubo January 19, 2014

Hi,
with Jira Agile I am forced to move from task-subtask concept to epis-issue concept(I am really not very happy with that).
But real blocker problem for me is that I can not sum logged hours of work on issues to epic.
I am missing something or it is really not possible?
Thanks

26 answers

60 votes
Marouen Marzouki February 4, 2015

It amazes me how Atlassian keeps ignoring all of these requests for such a basic but very useful feature.

Aleksey Suvorov June 18, 2020

This is a ridiculous issue.  The whole JIRA tool is exactly for PLANNING work/projects. Why JIRA does not calculate the total estimate by epic tickets really puzzles me. This is a 1-cent  feature. Atlassian, do it please! I don't have to buy 3rd party tools for fixing your unfinished code. This is very unfair.

Like # people like this
Renaud Larzilliere June 18, 2020

Summy of log hours, summing of user stories.... auto status change. All these would help so much!

Like # people like this
Rahul_RVS_Support
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 19, 2021

Hi

You can try out our add-on to track progress of issues in Epic hierarchy on time estimates and at story points as well.

Agile Tools - Epic Tree and Time in Status 

The add-on allows you to manage and visualize your Epics with rolled up estimate progress reports along with multiple Time in Status Reports ( more than 6 reports).

Key features of Epic Hierarchy:

• Epic Sum up - Roll up for Time estimates and Story Points
  • Excel like editing for key fields
  • Excel export of hierarchy data. Progress % on "remaining estimate" or "original estimates"
  • Include all issue types vs only Stories in Story Points roll up
  • Support for custom names for Epic & Story fields
  • Epic Tree on Issue Screen

Along with Epic Sum, you also get Links Hierarchy and Multiple Time in Status reports (to track your issues) in this add-on.

Epic Hierarchy.PNG

Links Hierarchy.png

12 votes
Bill Darcy December 3, 2014

FWIW our company would value the summing of logged work of Tasks in Epics just as the logged work of SubTasks are summed into Tasks. 

thanks for considering adding this feature.

10 votes
Barry Millar February 2, 2018

I know that this is an old thread but I have just seen the requests for my original scripts. If anybody is still interested...

We have JIRA 6.3.7 with the Script Runner 3.0.6 add-on.

I created several custom scripted fields. In the corresponding “Script Runner -> Script Fields” configuration:

epic-scripted.png

The groovy scripts (see link - need to have .txt extension removed) are located on our JIRA server at the above specified locations. Note that there are a couple that are imported by the others.

<<https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1EGxNZqiULURCZ-70HQf4h9w2h4UBO3vP>>

Regards,

Barry.

Olivier February 2, 2018

Wonderful and thanks a lot for sharing !!

Olivier

Elizabeth Jarvis March 21, 2018

Thank you so much for sharing, Barry!

Matt Taylor September 6, 2019

I've had to modify the scripts a little but very helpful, thanks Barry.

P.S. you're not THE Barry Millar are you?!

Barry Millar September 9, 2019

PPS  I'm definitely THE Barry Millar if you are THE Matt Taylor (Matt#2?).

Matt Taylor September 9, 2019

Haha I am! Thanks for the script! Still helping out a lowly grady after all these years!

Neeraj October 17, 2019

Thank you! works!

Juha Nevamäki October 30, 2019

Thanks! Works perfectly!

madhusudhan reddy February 5, 2020

Hi, I am getting errors in this script, I am new to groovy can anyone send me the modified code please

Barry Millar February 6, 2020

Hi @madhusudhan reddy

What errors are you getting? I am still using these scripts and I'm on 7.13.4.

Rebecca Lüke December 2, 2020

Thanks, @Barry Millar 
will try this one! 

Aasha January 18, 2021

@Barry Millar - I need your help on this script?

Could you please help me on this?

Aleksey Lazaryev January 25, 2021

HI @Barry Millar , I just downloaded ScriptRunner in Jira. We've been using Jira for a long time, but having issues with hours not rolling up to Epics. Which script should I use? Also, do you use EasyBI? Will the hours rolled-up to an Epic in Jira also roll-up in Easy BI? 

Barry Millar January 26, 2021

@Aleksey LazaryevYou always need the "utility" scripts, SumType.groovy and EpicEstimatedUtils.groovy.

If you wish to have the figures rendered on screen in a human readable, colour-coded fashion then you also need the 3 "pretty" scripts and create 3 corresponding scripted fields:

• EpicEstimatedPretty.groovy
  • EpicLoggedPretty.groovy
  • EpicRemainingPretty.groovy

However, some of our projects do some kung-fu reporting outside of JIRA (in Excel) and need the raw values (time in seconds) for the above so that they could be used in Excel (calculations, ordering, ratios etc). In that case you need these scripts:

• EpicEstimatedRaw.groovy
  • EpicLoggedRaw.groovy
  • EpicRemainingRaw.groovy

The "raw" scripts are not dependent on the "pretty" scripts and vice versa.

I have no knowledge of EazyBI, but the thing to note with calculated scripted field values is that they are only calculated when they are rendered.

Aleksey Lazaryev January 26, 2021

Thanks @Barry Millar Appreciate the clarification. I did add the 3 scripts to the Script Editor in ScriptEditor. I removed the .txt extension.  It's giving me an error at :

import EpicEstimateUtils
import SumType 

We have the on-premise version of Jira. Is there any other step-by-step instructions on how to run this script?

Barry Millar January 29, 2021

@Aleksey Lazaryev  did you resolve this? If you are using ScriptEditor (for Script Console?) then the imports wont work. The two import lines refer to two of the other scripts. I don't use the Script Console much but couldn't you just cut and paste the contents of the two utility scripts along with the relevant script that you are testing?

The intention is that you use scripted fields and have all the relevant scripts squirrelled away in the same location on your server, so the imports would work.

Lauma Cīrule
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 8, 2021

Hi @Aleksey Lazaryev,

Just to add regarding the eazyBI question - yes, hours roll up to Epic level in the eazyBI data model. See an example in this report: https://eazybi.com/accounts/1000/cubes/Issues/reports/78204-issue-epic-gantt-chart.

Let me know if you have further questions regarding eazyBI!

Lauma / support@eazybi.com

Henrik Gerdtsson April 28, 2021

@Barry Millar I just downloaded the scripts. Thank you for making them public. I placed them in <jira-home>/scripts. When I proceeded to make the scripted fields and supply EpicEstimatedPretty.groovy as the script file I get a warning about type checking. When I try to preview the result I get an error: org.codehaus.groovy.control.MultipleCompilationErrorsException: startup failed: Script646.groovy: 9: unable to resolve class Issue @ line 9, column 7. Issue issue = issue ^ 1 error.

I have not changed anything in the scripts.

I am running Jira Server 8.5.0 and Scriptrunner 6.6.0. Are you aware of any changes in these versions that affect the scripts? Any ideas on how to fix the error.

Thanks in advance

Henrik

Barry Millar April 28, 2021

I just gave it a quick and dirty test on another (JIRA Core) test instance, but that instance is at 8.13.6 so I could not use the same version of ScriptRunner. Instead I installed the latest, 6.24.0.

If it is complaining about the Issue class in your instance, it isn't in mine. I get exactly the same error if I comment out the import of the Issue class in the first line of the EpicEstimatedPretty.groovy file. It's not missing or corrupted somehow?

My test (as I only have JIRA Core at v8.x):

import com.atlassian.jira.issue.Issue
import EpicEstimateUtils
import SumType

Issue issue = issue

return issue.key

If I comment out, e.g.:

// import com.atlassian.jira.issue.Issue

I get the same error when previewing:

org.codehaus.groovy.control.MultipleCompilationErrorsException: startup failed: Script10.groovy: 7: unable to resolve class Issue @ line 7, column 7. Issue issue = issue ^ 1 error

Henrik Gerdtsson April 28, 2021

Thank you for the swift reply.

It turns out that all the files are corrupted. If I create new files and copy the code too them it works perfectly.

I downloaded the files to my Windows computer and tranfered them to the Linus server that hosts Jira. Must be something in that process that corrupts the files.

Thank you again for the scripts and the help. I will have som happy users when I get all of it configured.

Like Barry Millar likes this
7 votes
Renaud Larzilliere July 9, 2014

It is amazing that there are no out of the box field in Epics to display the aggregate of the stories held. Useful info would be Number of stories done, Total work and remaining hours.

Tony Laycock July 10, 2014

Hi larziliere,

I know it's not the true field you are looking for but did you spot that there is something similar to what you describe on the Agile Board - Plan Mode? Open the Epic panel on the left and expand an epic. It shows number of stories, number done and sum of estimates for the epic.

Like Konovalov Alexey likes this
Francois Latouche September 1, 2014

I agree, the ability to aggregate information by epic would be a great feature to have. At the very least, the ability to sum up logged and estimated times as is currently possible with sub tasks would be an obvious win.

esmithbss November 28, 2014

I second the need for rolled up estimates and logged hours. I currently have an Epic with 6 Stories. Each Story has sub-tasks with estimated hours. I can view the rolled up estimates at the story level, but I cannot easily find an onscreen location where the rolled up story level estimates are further rolled up into the epic. My Scrum board shows the Estimate as 0 under the epic where I would expect it to show 18d.

Andrew Cohen August 16, 2016

@Tony Laycock That is a nice idea but the sum that the Plan/Backlog screen shows you is for the whole sprint – note when you select different Epics, the sum doesn't change.

6 votes
Barry Millar September 8, 2015

I know this is an old thread but I thought I would add my experience. We also suffered from the lack of summing of stories etc under Epics. It is unbelievable that this has not yet been added to the product by Atlassian and it smacks of Agile as an afterthought to JIRA.

My solution was to create groovy scripts and use scripted custom fields (available via the ScriptRunner addon). I have a number of scripts that are used to calculate:

• summation of original estimate values under Epics
  • summation of the logged effort under Epics
  • summation of the remaining estimate values under Epics

I have created two versions of these fields. One type return the "raw" value (in seconds) for export of a list of Epics to excel. The other type are html versions, output in hours and colour coded depending upon how they compare against the Epics own estimates and summations.

The only problem is that if you display a filtered list of issues with the calculated fields displayed then the display will take longer to render as the values are calculated each time they are displayed. This means that they are always up to date but can take longer to display.

Giovanni Bucciero January 14, 2016

Could you provide me with the scripts please Barry?

DvoraKatz February 25, 2016

Can I get one of your scripts as example?

Olivier October 11, 2016

Hello Barry.

I will be very interested to use your script for the summation of original estimate values under Epics. Is it possible for you to give me ? It will be a big help for me.

Regards,

Olivier

Asaf Kivity January 18, 2017

Hi Barry,

I would be great if you could send me your scripts. We face the same issue.

Thanks,

Asaf

5 votes
Sverre Moe March 20, 2019

Did someone just delete my post?

This is ridiculous. When can we expect Atlassian to fix this crucial feature. We really need time tracking for epics. This has been sitting here for 5 years.

They managed to do this for Issues with sub-tasks, so Why shouldn't it be just as easy to do the same for Epics with stories.

Vote up the issue
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-8726

Matt Fritsch May 11, 2020

It looks like a "SET Analytics Bot" keeps pushing the "UIS" field up a few numbers every couple days. It is now "170". Not sure if that is why the project has fallen off Atlassian's radar? Sounds like Atlassian could afford to hire a few of us as consultants...;)

4 votes
Andrew Feller September 12, 2016

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSW-8726 has been sitting around neglected since 2013 and doesn't show any signs of improving.

Dmitry Astapkovich _Colined_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 12, 2016

That's why we have created Epic Report: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/biz.epicreport.epicreports/cloud/overview

It has other functions as well, but providing totals for time estimates and story points for any issue or JQL is core feature

Andrew Feller September 12, 2016

Thanks, but I honestly don't want any plugin involved unless the older Agile plugin that introduced epics as I want to use this in any place where I currently use issue fields.  Even if I wasn't using JIRA server, I certainly don't want to pay $250 / month for missing core functionality.

Like # people like this
Sverre Moe May 8, 2018

Atlassian seriously needs to implement this feature.

Like # people like this
Renaud Larzilliere September 9, 2019

Indeed

3 votes
percygrunwald November 18, 2019

Extremely disappointing that Epics/Linked Issues don't behave like Tasks/Subtasks. I agree with others that you should not need a plugin just to sum the hours of Issues in your Epic. 

3 votes
Sverre Moe March 20, 2019

This is ridiculous. When can we expect Atlassian to fix this crucial feature. We really need time tracking for epics. This has been sitting here for 5 years.

They did it for Issues with sub-tasks, so Why shouldn't it be just as easy to do the same for issues under an Epic.

3 votes
Maurizio Delmonte August 27, 2015

Hi Zubo, I guess you could just use a Project Pivot Report, grouping by field "epic link".. obtaining something like:

Screenshot 2015-08-28 11.28.24.png

Antonio Jimenez September 2, 2015

Hi Maurizio. How can I add or find the Project Pivot Report?

Antonio Jimenez September 2, 2015

Amazing! Exactly what I was looking for!

Nate Evans May 27, 2016

Where is the Project Pivot Report and how do I get it we are on version 6.3

Aaron Bauman October 12, 2016

Anyone? where is it?

You can do it in JIRA dashboard "Add Gadget"

Like Yaakov Morgenstein likes this
2 votes
Renaud Larzilliere September 9, 2019

We shouldn't need an add-in for this really.

Emmanuel Telmon October 10, 2019

True.

Like Juha Nevamäki likes this
2 votes
Fadoua Boualem October 2, 2015

Hi,

If the following may help:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/aptis.plugins.epicSumUp

Best,

Fadoua

2 votes
JP Dicks August 25, 2015

Does anyone know if there is an official feature request with Atlassian for this feature? If so please post here so we can vote for it.

1 vote
Rich Gold March 20, 2018

This is an old post, but still relevant since it's a current limitation. In order for me to sum time logged in estimates, story points or hours logged, there is no way to sum this to an epic without some sort of script or plugin. Otherwise I'm stuck manually summing this information. Very unimpressed by the lack of reporting functionality. 

1 vote
Marketplace Partner
July 27, 2016

We have recently developed plugin to solve issue tracking in JIRA. It's called Epic Report, you can check it here: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/biz.epicreport.epicreports/cloud/overview

cS-1.png

Or jump right into the demo:

If you  do any questions about the plugin, please don't hesitate to ask.

1 vote
c
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 5, 2015

There are two plugins now that fulfil this task:

Neil Lennon September 29, 2017

Free version was perfect for my needs - thank you 

1 vote
Craig_Salyers September 3, 2014

The Epic Report seems have the most complete information, but it is difficult to get to. It would be great if I could open the epic report directly from the Epic page. That does not seem possible. Am I missing something?

1 vote
Renaud Larzilliere July 10, 2014

Yep, my issue is that for exec dashboarding, getting into this page is not efficient. I would rather have a field I can use in the JIRA issue list macro on a Confluence page which is why I am suing this.

From my research, the solution si to use structure and cross fingers that its sync feature works as well as advertised with Jira Agile.

0 votes
Rahul_RVS_Support
Marketplace Partner
January 18, 2021

Hi All,

As an alternative you may want to try out our add-on to manage multiple Epics, their progress and their hierarchy on a single page.

Agile Tools - Epic Tree and Time in Status 

Manage and visualize your Epics with rolled up estimate progress reports.

Key features:

• Epic Sum
  • Configure progress % calculation on either "remaining estimate" or "original estimates"
  • Epic Tree directly on Issue Screen
  • Display and manage Epics/Issues of your project
  • Real time edit option for Issue summary, status, time estimates, story points and assignee on the tree on the Epic Hierarchy
  • Rolled up percentage completion and at issue level as well
  • JQL support for Epic Hierarchy screen
  • Time in Status report using JQL
  • Issue Tracker to view complete transitions on your issue screen
    • Status Transition : View all the status changes in a single tab along with average time and count in each status. Switch between graphical and tabular view to make more out of the data.
    • Assignee Transition : View all the assignees for the issue along with the time for which the issue was with each assignee. Switch between graphical and tabular view to make more out of the data.

Epic Hierarchy Screen_Cloud_Edit.png

Epic Hierarchy_Issue Screen_Cloud.PNG

0 votes
Rhys Diab _Agile Docs_
Marketplace Partner
October 15, 2019

You can use Agile Docs to sum up logged hours of issues in your Epics.

You can also see how far along your issues are based on the progress of sub-tasks.

time-tracking-tree.pngOr, if you want a zoomed-out view of Epics only, you can uncheck "Expand All Epics":

time-tracking-collapsed-epics.png

In addition, you can use your existing Quick Filters to locate any set of Epics you like.

Hope that helps!

Johannes Wa October 18, 2019

HI Rhys,

are you planning to publish this app for JIRA server?

Thanks,

Johannes

Rhys Diab _Agile Docs_
Marketplace Partner
October 18, 2019

Hi Johannes,

I don't have a plan to publish a JIRA server version in the near future, but it's in my long term plans.

Best Regards,

Rhys

Marketplace Partner
October 19, 2019

Hi Johannes, 

You can get the same or pretty similar result on Server (Cloud and DC) with Pivot Report: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1215414/pivot-report?hosting=server&tab=overview

There's a bit more in fact =)

0 votes
Dusty Brossart March 5, 2019

I know this is an older thread, but I've been having good luck with Epic Time Tracking for JIRA. It gives 3 different summaries including time estimated, time remaining, and time logged to the Epic. You can then click on those summaries to view the issues and their estimates. 

The only thing that I'm not a fan of is that the "Remaining on Epic" uses the original estimate and not the remaining estimate. So, if you increase your estimate, it won't be reflected here. 

0 votes
Eric DeMars September 26, 2018

This is not a complete or perfect solution, but you can "roll up" the Original Estimates and Remaining Estimates for Stories that belong to an Epic like so:

1. Obviously create Epic and assign Stories to Epic

2. Create a filter and use the More dropdown to add the Epic Link field, matched to your new Epic.  This should show you only the Stories assigned to your Epic.

3. Select the Columns dropdown to add Original and Remaining Estimates

4. Use the download/export icon to download a csv file and use a spreadsheet program to open, and sum the estimate fields.  Jira seems to export estimates by the second, so I had to divide all estimates by 3600 to get hours.  

0 votes
mabaddeley May 22, 2018

This can be done with Structure.  Start with a query that picks up all of your epics and stories. With that you can add columns to sum all estimate/work values from tasks to show totals at the story & epic level.

Severin Wanzenried May 23, 2018

This works in that specific view, but not together with e.g. plugins.

0 votes
Abhishek Kaushik February 22, 2017

This is so pathetic that Atlassian still dont show basic report at epic and version level. 

Most of people would want to see:

1) Efforts reports (Estimated, Logged & Remaining ) at Epic Level 

2) Efforts reports (Estimated, Logged & Remaining ) at Version Level

3) Effort roll up from Sub-task to story to Epic

>> Should also have option to add a custom field of type Epic, which can be between Epic and Story, lets say theme. 

Marketplace Partner
February 23, 2017

Have you seen Pivot Report? We created it to fulfill this gap. For me those are very essential indicators you've mentioned, can't imagine any planing and time tracking without them.

0 votes
mwarton
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 26, 2014

Hi Zubo,

Check out the Intelligent Reports plugin. We just released support for JIRA Agile, including a sprint timesheet which show the total hours worked for each epic.

If you need slightly different data it is very easy to get - simply design your report in Microsoft Word and fill in the data using simple point and click rules. No scripting or API to learn.

Zubo January 28, 2014

Hi,

thanks for answer. Report are nice and usefull, but why I have to pay for something what worked in JIRA but after Agile ingration it is not possible any more :(.

Suggest an answer