Jira Agile: Can I update an estimate for a task once a sprint has started? What about tasks that are added after a sprint has started

Prema Rajan June 1, 2015

I have created my first JIRA Agile project and we've started our first sprint. We know a few of the tasks we want to work on but do not have an exhaustive list. For this first sprint we'd like to add tasks as we go. But when I create a tasks the estimate field is disabled for some reason. Can I not put in a story points estimate once a sprint has started? What if we misestimate, reconvene as a team, and decide to reestimate a task once we know more details? Can we not update the number of story points for a task a day or two into a sprint?

Edit:

Here is a screen shot of the issue panel. They test unestimated is greyed out. When I click on it I am unable to edit it. If I click on the task name I can edit that. But I cannot edit the estimate. When I click the "..." edit button or the hotkey 'e' there is no field for me to enter the estimate.

image2015-6-1 12:30:28.png

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 1, 2015

But when I create a tasks the estimate field is disabled for some reason.

Rahul: go to board configuration and check what is your estimation statistic. If you want story points then select that to story points.

Can I not put in a story points estimate once a sprint has started? 

Rahul: Yes you can. nothing stopping you from estimating and adding new stories in middle of active sprint. But this is against agile methods. Agile recommends all stories tobe estimated and added to sprint before start of sprint. This way your velocity charts will be more representative.

What if we misestimate, reconvene as a team, and decide to reestimate a task once we know more details? 

Rahul: Yes, you can edit the estimates. The error (delta) in estimation will reflect in your velocity charts.

Can we not update the number of story points for a task a day or two into a sprint?

Rahul: Yes you can. Just make sure story points field is enabled for all issue types. by default it is enabled only for bug.

Prema Rajan June 1, 2015

From the issues view, I was able to see the "admin" button. From there I was able to add the story points field to issues. That seems to have done the trick. Thanks!

0 votes
Damon Gaylor June 1, 2015

Press 'e' (edit) and you can change the story point size, I assume it works for hours as well if you are using that.

Prema Rajan June 1, 2015

Edit what? The task? When the edit window opens there is no field for estimate. There is also no option for it under the configure fields menu.

Suggest an answer