Jira Admin Suggestions

Nikos Vlachos November 29, 2021

Hello Everyone,

I recently was offered a role as a Scrum Master and I will also be given access as a Jira Admin. I wanted to ask the community what would be the first few things you would check in Jira to make sure the team is working efficiently? And what would you implement in order to help them? 

3 answers

2 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 29, 2021

Hello @Nikos Vlachos ! Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Congrats on your new role as Scrum Master!

As a Scrum Master, I start out by seeing what the team is doing and what their level of maturity in adopting Scrum is.  If Jira is involved, I would probably check the following:

1. Is the team really using Jira?

2. What's the level of adoption?  Who is filling out individual Jira issues? 

3. Does what is in Jira match your observations of the team's performance?  You can probably check this using:

a. Velocity Report

b. Sprint Reports

c. Cumulative Flow Diagrams (if your Scrum team also has a Kanban board set up)

Note that I'm using Jira to confirm what I see and what I find by asking the team.

Good luck!

Thank you, Robert! These would be really useful :) 

2 votes
Answer accepted
Chris Buzon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 29, 2021

Check for tickets that have remained idle for a long time (that amount of time being defined by you).  Close out the old stale tickets.

Check for closed tickets that are also unresolved (that's a sign you need to update workflows to force a resolution, or automatically set it)

Check for unused custom fields and issue types (you want as few as is actually useful)

Check to make sure your team actually uses the statuses and issue types they have correctly.

Build some automation to alert you to bad things (stale tickets, misuse of bug type, etc)

There is a lot more you could do too, it just depends on your comfort level with admin work.

Rob_Huntley_Tempo November 29, 2021

@Nikos Vlachos  Congrats on the new role!

@Chris Buzon has made some good points.  I'd also set some filters and save them as reports and gadgets for yourself on issues not updated in X # of days, high priority issues, bugs.  

You might want to review your sprint boards or create some so you can review status and capacity of your teams.

If your company has a service desk, it would be helpful to get some feedback from them as well around customer feedback related to your releases etc.

Rob

Like # people like this

Thank you for the suggestions. I hope I will be able to navigate the Jira Admin role.

Like Chris Buzon likes this
0 votes
Vahan Alaverdyan July 14, 2022

Make sure you have only one or two screens for all your projects. 

V.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events