Jira API: How to fetch only scrum projects using API

chakravarthi pottem May 9, 2017

Hi,

We are using GET /rest/api/2/project to get all projects from jira system. Is there a way to filter via API to get only scrum projects? 

2 answers

0 votes
Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 9, 2017

The 'Scrum', 'Kanban' and 'Basic' options aren't really different types of projects, they are just templates that you can choose to set up your 'software' type project with some initial configuration (particular issue types, workflows, boards, etc).

Just because you picked the 'Basic' or 'Kanban' template, for example, doesn't stop you from adding a Scrum board to the project at a later date.

I'm not sure there is an easy way to identify which template was picked in the first place.

If you define a 'scrum' project as any project containing a scrum board then what you could do is:

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 9, 2017

Or, of course, you could come at it the other way:

For each project returned by GET /rest/api/2/project, use GET /rest/agile/1.0/board + projectKeyOrId parameter to see if the project has any associated boards of type = 'scrum'.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 9, 2017

Sam is right, a project is not "scrum" or "kanban", it's just a template guide for Software to create the first board for you (and choose fields, screens, workflows etc)

Consider the case where you have a filter of "Project = ABC".  You create a Scrum board from that filter.  Then you create a Kanban using the same filter.

Is that project Scrum or kanban?  It's both.  So there is no concept of projects of that type.

0 votes
quality-support May 9, 2017

When you say scrum project i think it's projectTypeKey = software, right ? 

By API you cant filter directly on service. What you can do is try to filtering it by using tools like python -m json.tool, grep, sort and uniq. 

Thank you for the respone.

I am getting project type key and I am able to filter to Software level . But we want to filter further. In jira when creating software it gives 3 options scrum/kanban and basic software. So using the API to fetch projects I want to know if the project is scrum or kanban or basic software. 

Capture.PNGPlease see image 

Suggest an answer