Jira 7.6.2 SQL DB Login failure

Tony Williams December 22, 2017

Jira 7.6.2
Microsoft SQL Server 2016

I upgraded Jira server from 7.4.2 to 7.6.2 and now I cannot connect to the associated SQL database. I have reviewed the changes for the jdbc connection string and have made the changes accordingly with no luck.

This instance of Jira has been running with no issues for months, no changes to the DB server prior to the upgrade, tested and verified the AD account used to log in has full access to the DB. 

Original connection:

<url>jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://[myserver]:1433/Jira;domain=[mydomain]:1433/Jira</url>
<driver-class>net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.Driver</driver-class>

Change to:

<url>jdbc:sqlserver://[myserver]:1433;databaseName=Jira</url>
<driver-class>com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver</driver-class>

No changes were made to the existing account info for username and password, however I get the error:
Attempting to connect to the SQL Server database server...
Could not connect to the DB: Login failed for user 'jira'. ClientConnectionId:7ca565fe-4ed7-4350-9d4b-529583eef8b1

Any ideas on what I can try to resolve this?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Tony Williams December 26, 2017

The answer to this issue is that 7.6.2 does not allow for a domain account to be used to connect to MS SQL Server, at least not as far as I can gather from any documentation I was able to find. This is unfortunate as version 7.4.2 did allow for a domain account to be used, making this a breaking change which seems to gravitate backwards in terms of functionality provided by Atlassian. 

You must instead use a local SQL account only to access the DB.

0 votes
Daniel Eads _unmonitored account_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 22, 2017

Hi Tony,

Are you able to copy/paste the password from the password tag in dbconfig.xml (same file) into a SQL client (preferably something Java-based if you can like DataGrip) and see if you can connect with the same connection parameters there?

I don't use MS SQL for Atlassian tools but have found generally confirming the password is still working as expected in another client is a good place to start before digging in further.

Cheers,
Daniel

Tony Williams December 22, 2017

Hi Daniel, 

I downloaded DataGrip and setup a SQL Server (jTds) connection. On the first try it had the same error as in Jira, but I added a value for DOMAIN in the advanced tab for the Data Sources and Drivers and the connection began to work fine. 

I am thinking it's something simple like getting the connection string format to take the domain, or maybe I need to provide a fully qualified name? Not sure..

Suggest an answer