JQL to show all issues AND subtasks in the Epic

Viewing page 2 of 2

40 answers

2 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Alan Fitzgerald September 29, 2016

The OnDemand version (not sure the version) still doesn't support it today.

0 votes
Efraim Bart September 28, 2016

@Alan Fitzgerald it Looks like in the latest version of JIRA (7.2.1 specifically) Epic Link now includes subtasks as well, I'm still looking for official confirmation of that though.

0 votes
Alan Fitzgerald February 26, 2016

I am still looking for an solution to use with OnDamand.

0 votes
Pablo Beltran
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 19, 2016

No doubt things change along the time, and today, there are new plugins able to resolve it in the wink of an eyelike SQL for JIRA. It transforms any JQL into a SQL.

Not only that. It is also able to summarize regular and custom issue fields, create visual reports, etc. f course, and transform SQL into JQL again. So you are able to resolve ANY report like this and surely anything you could imagine.

0 votes
Malcolm Mhlongo February 18, 2016

Also try:

"Epic Link" =<Epic ID> AND  issuetype in (Story, Sub-task) OR issuekey in tempoEpicIssues(<Epic ID>) ORDER BY Rank

Janelle Lirette February 18, 2016

I'm getting the following error when trying this:

project = "xxx  xxx" AND "Epic Link" = xxxx-### AND issuekey in tempoEpicIssues(xxxx-###)

Error:  Unable to find JQL function 'tempoEpicIssues(xxxx-###)'.

Note: xxx=actual text I'm trying to query for but left out for privacy reasons

Malcolm Mhlongo February 18, 2016

Hi Janelle

I have modified the sql : 

"Epic Link" =<Epic ID> AND  issuetype in (Story, Sub-task) OR issuekey in tempoEpicIssues(<Epic ID>) ORDER BY Rank

Janelle Lirette February 19, 2016

Here is what I have in my filter:

"Epic Link" = RSYS-550 AND  issuetype in (Story, Sub-task) OR issuekey in tempoEpicIssues(RSYS-550) ORDER BY Rank

and I'm receiving the same 'unable to find JQL function 'tempoEpicIssues..."

Is JQL function standard with Jira?

thanks for all of the help,

Janelle

Malcolm Mhlongo February 19, 2016

Hi

JQL is function standard with Jira.

I am using this version :  JIRA v6.4.11.

What JIRA version are you on also do you have the tempo plug in for your timekeeping?

Thanks,

Malcolm

Janelle Lirette February 19, 2016

i'm sending a note to our JIRA admin to find out about the plug in.  thanks a million for your help!

0 votes
Patrick May June 2, 2015

yeah, you're dealing with the same thing i am i believe. there is a different between 'linked issues' and 'issues in epic'. to return the linked issues, try...

issue in (linkedIssues(AAA-###))   

BUT for all the 'issues in epic'... i've yet to find a string that returns those issues. 

Patrick May June 2, 2015

then again, looks like i found a way to show them all. issue in (ABC-123, linkedIssues(ABC-123)) OR "Epic Link" = ABC-123 this will show all linked issues, issues in epic and even return the parent epic in the list as well. i use this for a confluence page.

Dale Bradman February 7, 2016

Nearly... Doesn't return sub-tasks of stories however.

0 votes
Keith Tyler May 12, 2015

I have an epic containing about 20 issues, but the JQL parent = XXX-1234 returns nothing at all.

0 votes
Raju Adluru
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 22, 2014

Hi

On the similar lines, i want to get all stories for multiple epics and person working on those epics

below query is giving me error!! it is not allowing multiple values for Epic Link!!

project = TEST AND issuetype = Story AND "Epic Link" = (TEST-1275,TEST-955,TEST-966) AND "manager" = userid ORDER BY description

"manager" is in Epic, not in story.

Can somebody help with this query, Appreciate it.

thanks

Erik Hess May 22, 2014

Raj, the Epic link can't equal multiple values (each issue is in one Epic), but you can return issues in one of many Epics. e.g., "Epic Link" in (TEST-1275,TEST-955,TEST-966)

Raju Adluru
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 4, 2014

Erik

Thanks that worked well, appreciate your help.

0 votes
Dave Hong February 13, 2014

Anyone else find out an answer to accomplish this in JQL?

I did run into the Links Hierarchy plug-in (which looks rad), but looking for a non-plug-in solution at the moment. :)

0 votes
Hassan Saleem November 13, 2013

There is no need for any Plugin..

Switch to "advance" filter option and enter

status in ("Open") AND parent in (PHX-xxx,ENG-xxx)

It will give you all the open tickets present as a subtask in parent JIRAS. Build more complex and enjoy using JIRA. Advance filter options will also give you all possible values to build Queries.

Please comment if its helpful.

Regards.

Hassan Saleem

Quality Control Engineer

Wellogic. U.A.E

Chad Wight November 19, 2013

Hassan, I think the ask was to isolate all issues and the subtasks of the issues associated to the epic, not just the issues and subtasks associated to the epic. Your example neglects to include the subtasks associated to the issues..

0 votes
Jon Abad July 28, 2013

Nathan,

I use the Craftware plugin Search Linked Issues for JIRA and do that query like this:

("Epic Link" = CP-32236 OR issue IN subtaskIssuesFromQuery("cf[11960]=CP-32236"))

Where cf[11960] is the id of my Epic Link field.

Just as your users are, my users are building labels or issue links back to the epic to help find things but hopefully i'll be able to show them ways to save time as we get used to these capabilities.

0 votes
Nathan July 22, 2013

We looked at purchasing the JQL Tricks plugin ( https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.j-tricks.jql-plugin ) since that has the ability to do advanced JQL... but we never bought it because my users started using labels instead and manually updating labels. There was another plugin that could do advanced JQL queries, but I don't remember what it is.

0 votes
MJ
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 5, 2013

Hi Nathan,
I have been trying to get results based of 1 single JQL, but I'm afraid this simply is not possible. Could you explain what exactly it is you are trying to accomplish, perhaps there is another solution.

Nathan June 5, 2013

I have a Greenhopper board and I want all tasks and subtasks for each of my epics to show up in an epic swimlane (one swimlane per epic).

So... I created a swimlane called "Build Foobar" and I have an epic called "Build Foobar" that has issue key of PRJ-1134. I was hoping to get all issues to show up in the "Build Foobar" swimlane (easy peasy) AND all those issues' subtasks (pain).

I know I can do this with labels... but I was trying to avoid creating labels since it requires my developers to use the right label everytime they create a subtask to an issue.

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question