JQL to filter for all issues in current/active sprint on Kanban/Scrum board

sebastiaanordelman January 2, 2018

Context:

We have an dev organisation where multiple teams work in parallel. Each team has its own Kanban or Scrum board.

In these boards, sprints are composed by dragging-and-dropping issues into the "active sprint" row. The tickets do not have a sprint value (sprint property is empty).

Question:

Is it possible to query for issues in "active sprints", and build another board based on that filter, so that a "master current sprint" board is created?

Failed approach:

sprint in openSprints()

Not working for issues with empty sprint property (not referring to "board sprint").

4 answers

0 votes
Reka Ferencz January 31, 2024

Just wondering if there is a solution to this request? If I understood OPs query correctly, he wants to create a JQL filter that issues that are dropped to the top To Do row on the backlog, and hence appearing on the Kanban board (I think this is what OP means by Sprint).

Another way of phrasing this question would be, what value is updated on the tickets once they are dropped into To Do? It's not status, it's not Sprint value, but what is it? What can I put into a JQL filter that pulls in these tickets ONLY?

For context, the use case here is pretty simple, I want to create some reports like rolling average, what epics are we working on right now etc, and I only want to include the tickets that are actively worked on, rather than pulling in the whole backlog. I would use a Sprint value normally for this but not too familiar with Kanban and looking for an equivalent of Sprint value - ie only the stuff that's on my Kanban board.

Thanks,

reka

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2018

@sebastiaanordelman, In reading all of the context here I’m wondering if maybe when you refer to “top row” you are looking at the Kanban Backlog View. In this view at the top you will have a collapsible view of things in progress and the bottom section is the true Backlog. So maybe you are misinterpreting/misstating the top as an active sprint? 

Assuming the above is somewhat correct then if you want to filter on the issues in the top section it would simply be for all issues != To Do. Unless you have defined Backlog as something other than To Do. Now, if memory serves it may be that the view at the top of the Backlog doesn’t include all or any Done so inspect that and adjust JQL to your needs. 

Pardon me if I’m off base here. 

sebastiaanordelman January 5, 2018

Hi @Jack Brickey, Indeed, I am referring to the top "row" in "backlog" view (the tickets in "current sprint"). In our organisation our teams can choose themselves either they want to use the Kanban or Scrum layout.

Besides that, I found out that the top row ("active sprint") is defined differently per team (using the 'sprint' or 'version' attribute to add tickets to the 'active' row).

I guess only way to fill a board with all tickets in "active sprints" is to combine all board-issue filters, plus their swim lane filter.

As an quick fix, I created a board in which all 'active' tickets are present (similar to your ".. != To Do" query above), leaving out the tickets that are part of a (Scrum) sprint, but are not yet touched by a developer.

0 votes
sebastiaanordelman January 5, 2018

Hi @Thomas Schlegel, thank you for your response.

I would like to be able to query for the top row, independent of the ticket status (column).

In the Kanban board, you can select issues to be part of the "current sprint" (rest of them are  part of the backlog).

I presumed that these tickets were drag & dropped in the top row, but they were actually selected by "sprint version". I presumed that there was another trick to select all tickets in all active sprints, because the failed approach as described above ("sprint in openSprints()") was somehow not returning all issues in "active sprint rows".

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2018

There is nothing like a sprint on a kanban board. The only thing you can do is to move one or more status from the board to the backlog.

The order of your issues within the column is defined by yourself. You can drag and drop the cards to any order you like. There is nothing like a top row.

Because a kanban board is not having any sprint object, you can't query for openSprints. 

Reading your description, I get the feeling that I could have misunderstood your problem. Maybe one or more screenshots could help us understanding what an active sprint is in your environment.

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 2, 2018

Hi Sebastiaan,

to be honest, I don't really understand your setting. What is that "active sprint row"? Do you mean a column in a Kanban board?

If that is the case, you have to query for the status, the column is based on.

Suggest an answer