JQL query to get all epics and their child issues according to a filter on the Epics

Netzer Shohet January 16, 2018

I saw a thread about getting all child issues out of specific Epics, and obviously I can write a query to filter only specific desired epics (for example, according to label).

But I don't see a way to do both. Since the label, for example, isn't inherited by the child issues, I can't get all epics and their child issues where the parent Epic has a specific label/s.

1 answer

0 votes
miikhy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 16, 2018

Hi,

I think there's no "subquery" option in JQL OOTB. You can't do something like getting all children from epic corresponding to a second filter.

That being said there are many plugins to get more JQL options (Scripting plugins can even allow you to develop your own set).

Hope this helps!

Cheers

Netzer Shohet January 16, 2018

thanks for the answer!

are there any parameters set on Epics that are "inherited" to their child tasks? (labels sadly are not such AFAIK)
if there had been such, I could've used them perhaps.

miikhy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 16, 2018

At the epic child level, the "Epic Link" field will always be populated with the epic key, that might be a good way to get a subset if you have an exhaustive list of epics (2 steps).

Hop this helps!

Suggest an answer