JQL for jiras that compares story points and time to end of sprint?

Matt Kist June 15, 2022

I'm interested in creating a quick filter for 'danger zone' jiras in a sprint. E.g. if story points remaining is 5 (our story points relate to days 1:1) and there are less than 5 (or perhaps 7.5 depending on how 'serious' we want it to be) days left in the sprint then it is shown. Does anyone know of any solution to something like that?

Would be really helpful to see at a glance any jiras that we should prioritise.

Optional extra: Consider time spent on a jira to determine approximate remaining time left on jira and compare that against time til end of sprint.

2 answers

0 votes
Lynne Ratcliffe June 15, 2022

Hi @Matt Kist Walter has the right idea, keep it simple. However his filter is less than 5 story points and I believe you are concerned with there being at least 5 story points left. So I would go with greater or equal to 5.

"story points" >= 5 
0 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 15, 2022

Hi @Matt Kist and welcome to the Community!

Depending on how serious you'd like this to be, I suppose this becomes important when indeed there's like 5 days or so left in the spront.

If so, you could make your quick filter as simple as:

"story points" < 5 

Basically, if you start using that as soon as 5 days before the end of the sprint, you should get the desired result.

I know it's not dynamic or relative to the sprint's end date, but maybe that is not necessary to cover your needs ...

Hope this helps!

Matt Kist June 16, 2022

Thanks for the suggestion. The 5 story point jira I mentioned is just an example really. I'm looking for a way for it to be dynamic. I think it would be great to write something like this:

CurrentSprintEndDate - Today < "story points" * {daysPerStoryPoint}

or simply

DaysToCurrentSprintEnd < "story points" * {daysPerStoryPoint}

where  daysPerStoryPoint is a constant, in our case 1.

Lynne Ratcliffe June 16, 2022

Totally understand Matt, unless the request you originally commented on is implemented by Atlassian, we cannot currently work with sprint start and end days (as far as I am aware).  I did try looking at smart values etc, but found nothing.  Hopefully someone may find a way for you. In the meantime I will have a think about it and will let you know if I come up with anything

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events