JQL for all stories without Story Points

Bjarke Brint April 26, 2019

I want to get an overview of all the stories in the backlog that has not yet been estimated with Story Points, so I'm looking for help creating a query that will do just that.

In another thread https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/I-need-to-query-my-project-for-all-stories-with-no-story-points/qaq-p/280229 it was suggested to use "Story points" is empty, but that doesn't work for me...

Funnily, I can filter all the estimated stories with query: "Story Points" > 0, but it doesn't work to reverse it with "Story Points" < 1 to see all the unestimated stories.

4 answers

2 votes
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 26, 2019

Hello @Bjarke Brint 

As suggested by @Thomas Schlegel  below JQL should fetch all the unestimated stories (story points field should be mapped to the project context in the custom field configuration)

"Story Points" is empty

should work, if it's not working then I suggest you to do a reindex of project or the instance and check the results again

Bjarke Brint April 27, 2019

Tried to re-index the project, still mot working... :/

Bjarke Brint April 27, 2019

OK, this looks weird:

In the backlog the Story Points appear if they are assigned as shown in the attachment above reply to @Thomas Schlegel.

But in the detail view the SPs show up only in the Estimate field, and its says "None" in the Story Points field. (1st attachment)

But then, if I open the issue in another tab it shows up in the Story Points field. (2nd attachment)

I'm a bit lost here, I must admit. 

Screen Shot 2019-04-27 at 21.41.50.pngScreen Shot 2019-04-27 at 21.42.17.png

1 vote
Chris Fullam February 24, 2021

I had to use the alias for the field, which seemed to be unique to my user. When I started typing "Story Points" jira would autocomplete and also show the alias cf10029 (your will be different). When i used that cf10029 is not empty, it worked.

Miguel Castro April 28, 2021

Thank you! This was the only solution that worked for me. 

Like Mikhail Sergeev likes this
1 vote
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 26, 2019

Hi @Bjarke Brint

"Story Points" is empty should work, it does for me.

Do you get an error or just a wrong result? Could you please give us more information?

Bjarke Brint April 26, 2019

Hi, thanks for getting back to me. 

As you can see in the attachmeent it doesn't really work. Both issues with SPs and without SPs show up:

2019-04-26 16_18_00-'MSP2 - Production Track' - Agile Board - MovieStarPlanet JIRA.png

0 votes
Yuliia_Borivets__SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 29, 2021

Hi @Bjarke Brint 

If you won't find another solution, you can try Dynamic Filters: JQL Raplacer add-on. It's developed by my team to simplify database searches. A Smart Field Manager allows setting queries without JQL knowledge. That's how it looks for your case:

story points.png

Then select created smart field – and get a result.

story.png

Wish you to find the best solution for you.

Best regards

Suggest an answer