JQL filter for sub-tasks blocking cousin sub-tasks (has different parent)

Phillip Yohner April 15, 2021

Hi,

I'm struggling to create a query that will return a list of sub-tasks that are blocking other sub-tasks that have a different parent.  For example:

• Task A
    • Sub-task A1 - blocks Sub-task B1
    • Sub-task A2 - blocks Sub-task A3
    • Sub-task A3 - is blocked by Sub-task A2
  • Task B
    • Sub-task B1 - is blocked by Sub-task A1

Result should be Sub-task A1 since it's blocking Sub-task B1.  Sub-task A2 would not be included in the result since it's blocking a sub-task with the same parent.

I have ScriptRunner installed.

Thought we were on the right track with the following query, but it doesn't return results:

project = ProjectXYZ AND resolution = Unresolved AND issueLinkType = blocks AND parent not in parentsOf("issueFunction in linkedIssuesOf('issueType = Sub-task', 'is blocked by')") ORDER BY priority DESC

Any suggestions appreciated!

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 16, 2021

I haven't worked out the right query, but I can tell you why the one you have doesn't return any results.

The first part of your query

project = ProjectXYZ AND resolution = Unresolved AND issueLinkType = blocks 

...will return Sub-task A1 and Sub-task A2 because those both have the "blocks" link type.

This part of your query

("issueFunction in linkedIssuesOf('issueType = Sub-task', 'is blocked by')"

...will return Sub-task A3 and Sub-task B1 because they each have a link of "is blocked by".

So then

parenstsOf(Sub-task A3, Sub-task B1)

... will return Task A and Task B, which leaves you with

parent not in (Task A, Task B)

The first part of your query returned Sub-task A1 and Sub-task A2. Their parent is Task A. But the second half of your query discards these Sub-tasks, because their parent (Task A) is in the "parent not in (Task A, Task B)" criteria.

Suggest an answer