JQL error while using "After <Date>" clause

Amruta Pelapkar February 22, 2021

Hello,

I would like to get all the issues from current sprint and also from previous sprint which have carried over in this sprint. We are considering "carry over" issues which are not in specific status at the time of starting of the new sprint. I need  issues which does not have those statuses to be removed from current sprint issue list so I was trying following JQL. But I am getting error: Error in JQL Query: The NOT_IN operator does not support the use of the after "<Date>" predicate."

I am using following JQL query:   project in (X, Y) AND Sprint = <current_sprint_name> AND Issuetype not in (Epic, subTaskIssueTypes())  AND (status NOT IN ("User Test Ready", "User Test Progress", "User Test Done", "Done") After "2021/MM/DD 00:00")

Here After "<Date>" is the last day of previous sprint

Any idea, how can I modify the query?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 23, 2021

Hi @Amruta Pelapkar,

If you want to search with the AFTER keyword, you are performing a history search. You will need to include additional WAS or CHANGED TO keywords, as your current search Status not in is static.

From your description, I am not entirely sure what your expected result should be. But try something like this:

project in (X, Y) AND Sprint = <current_sprint_name> AND Issuetype not in (Epic, subTaskIssueTypes())
AND (status WAS NOT IN ("User Test Ready", "User Test Progress", "User Test Done", "Done") After "2021/MM/DD
 00:00")
Amruta Pelapkar February 23, 2021

Thanks a lot @Walter Buggenhout  for this clarification!. It worked.  I came across another scenario where I couldn't get issues which are in "User Test Kickback" status.

When issues are in "User Test Progress", if testing fail at this stage, issue will go to "User Test Kickback" and "Needs Rework" status where rework/ fix needs to be done by development team. So these are also carry over issues. What can be the query for this? I have tried following query

project in (X, Y) AND Sprint = <current_sprint_name> AND Issuetype not in (Epic, subTaskIssueTypes()) AND (status WAS NOT IN ("User Test Ready", "User Test Progress", "User Test Done", "Done") AND (Status in ("User Test Kickback", "Needs Rework")) After "2021/MM/DD 00:00")

In this query i am getting error Error in JQL Query: The IN operator does not support the use of the after "2021/MM/DD 00:00" predicate.

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 23, 2021

Hi @Amruta Pelapkar,

I see exactly the same problem as with your first query: you wrote the After "2021/MM/DD 00:00"  without a history search. You can try either of these alternatives:

Status WAS IN ("User Test Kickback", "Needs Rework") After <some date>

or

Status CHANGED TO ("User Test Kickback", "Needs Rework") After <some date>

if you want to explicitly pick out issues that made either of those transitions after the given date.

Amruta Pelapkar February 23, 2021

Yeah make sense! I tried it and it works!! As you pointed out, my "After" clause worked if i give "history" criteria. Thank you so much for the help!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events