Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

JQL Group By function

I see that others asked too, but no one seemed to have found the solution yet - is there a way to advance search issues in JIRA using JQL but group the results by specific fields?

4 answers

I know this is an old post, but if you still haven't come across the desired results, you could also accomplish this with either a dashboard using multiple "Filter Results" macros each configured to a saved JQL filter to the desired group results or a confluence page with multiple Jira macro set to the JQL queries or saved filters as desired.

Depending on your use-case and the number of teams, you could also consider using a kanban board project that draws in all the issues from the necessary projects and set up quick filters for each team if the result is to view a team at a time.

@Motti Tadmor,

1. Wouldn't a two-dimensional macro on a Confluence page where Y-axis=Team and X-axis=Issue type be one way to view this?
  2. Using this add-on can also help you easily filter your issues by Team - https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.stiltsoft.confluence.plugin.tablefilter.tablefilter/cloud/overview (You can use it during free trial and see how it works.)

Hi @Anup

1. would work great I think, can you send me some info on howto?

2. Let me check this out and get back to you

Thanks, happy Friday

Motti

Like Benjamín likes this

Yes @Anup saw it and it says the ticket that was created for Atlassian to intro this, is closed as 'won't fix'. There are some suggestions on using the API to do this, but I can't, so was wondering if anyone found a way or plugin to do it.

I have issues by teams, and I want to report on all issues, by group the results by team.

Thanks

@Motti Tadmor,

If that's the case I don't think your problem is as complex as it is made out to be.

If you have created groups under User Management where the ''Groups" can act as the "Teams", then you can do a simple JQL in the following format:

project = All AND issue= All AND (reporter in membersOf("<Group name>") or assignee in membersOf("<Group name>"))

Would that work for you?

Thanks @Anup I understand your suggestion, I think my challenge is that we created a custom field called "Teams" which allows us to tag tickets with scrum team names, while User Management > Groups for us, is more a generic logical department grouping (i.e. Sales, Development, Marketing).

What I need is a report for the custom field "Teams" that shows all their items, grouped by team.

Something like:

Team A

item1

item2

item3

Team B

item1

item2

item3

Thanks,

Motti

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

Upcoming changes to epic fields in company-managed projects

👋 Hi there Jira Community! A few months ago we shared with you plans around renaming epics in your company-managed projects. As part of these changes, we highlighted upcoming changes to epics on...

14,508 views 37 44
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you