JQL Google Sheets Plugin (Order by Backlog Rank Order)

Waleed Shellah October 26, 2021

Hello,

I am using the JQL plug-in for Google sheets, is it possible to call the query based on the backlog order within a particular project backlog?

Thank you in advance. 

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 28, 2021

Hi Waleed,

I am not sure I understand the problem here.  Is this by chance a team-managed project that these issues exist in?  If this is the case, then the backlog that appears for team-managed projects is not always something that can be found from JQL.  If that is the case, then it might not be possible to find these issues in that order.  We are tracking this problem over in the issue JSWCLOUD-18760.  This limitation appears to be specific to team-managed (formerly known as next-gen) projects.

If this project is setup to use sprints, then there might be a way to do this.  For example, if you only want issues in the backlog that are not in a planned future sprint, then a JQL such as

project=picard and sprint is empty and type!=epic order by rank asc

But this only works if the team managed project is setup to use sprints. Also this doesn't consider issues that were in a previous sprint. 

Does this help to find those issues?

Andy

Waleed Shellah October 28, 2021

Hi Andy,

Thank you for replying to my thread.

The issues that I manage do exist within a team-managed project.  I believe that JSWCLOUD-18760 gets at the spirit of the problem that I'm trying to solve. The main point of emphasis that I would highlight is that I want to filter JQL in order based on how the issues are ranked within my team-managed project's backlog.

Here is some additional context: my team-managed backlog has more than 100+ issues. As a PM, I tend to rank the priority of the issue based on the order found within the team-managed backlog. Issues ranked towards the top get groomed by the developer team and get incorporated in a near-future sprint.

When I get the chance, I'll try the JQL query that you suggested. I hope my additional explanation helps highlight the priority flow that I use as well as the problem that I am trying to solve.

Thank you again for your help. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best,

Waleed 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events