JQL Filter "Custom text field Is not EMPTY" returns empty and not empty results

Natalia Trofimov July 12, 2021

Issue Summary:

The filter "Custom text field is not EMPTY" not Working in JQL

Steps to Reproduce:

Create a custom field “Status Comment” - type Text Field (multi-line)

Create a filter "Status Comment" is not EMPTY

Expected Results:

The filter returns the results with not EMPTY values

Actual Results:

JQL shows the issue where the field is EMPTY and NOT EMPTY

The filter "Status Comment" is EMPTY is working fine

1 answer

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 12, 2021

Hi Natalia,

Can you share the exact filter that you are using? 

Natalia Trofimov July 12, 2021

Hi John,

Just noticed that the default value in that field contained an empty space. that explained it! I removed it but the result is still the same. We are on Jira cloud, I cannot reindex. 

the filter is not fancy, just project = <project name> and "Status Comment" is not EMPTY

thank you,

Natalia

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 12, 2021

So it still shows issue that have nothing in the "Status Comment" field? 

If you click on one of those that should not be showing up and then click into that field, is the space still there? 

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 12, 2021

Hi @Natalia Trofimov 

Are you using a team-managed project, and is that custom field defined for the project?  If so, I wonder if you could be seeing this defect: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-76536

If not, perhaps it is this one related to this field type's editor: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-74027

Best regards,
Bill

Like John Funk likes this
Natalia Trofimov July 13, 2021

Hi Bill,

yes, I saw it.

1. the projects are not team-managed

2. I tried to change to Default Text renderer instead of WikiStyle Renderer, the outcome is the same

Natalia Trofimov July 13, 2021

It looks like it is some kind of glitch. We have the same multiline text filed with the same configurations and it is used for the same issue types and the same projects and the filters (is EMPTY and not EMPTY) are working for the second custom field.

BTY, we just migrated to jira cloud from jira-server. the same filter behavior in jira-server so it is not jira-cloud related...

Suggest an answer