JIRA subscriptions limited to certain profiles / users

Tom Claessens August 5, 2021

Hello Community I wonder if there's a way to limit subscription apps to certain user groups within JIRA and limit the billing accordingly?

Our use case is that we have a lot of user accounts, standard for all employees. That means we have +200 accounts within our JIRA cloud instance.

Since we also have several subscriptions, are bill rises month after month as people join teams but the fact that everybody needs access to tickets, for review for instance, doesn't automatically mean that people need access to certain subscriptions.

Our planning poker tool for instance, is only of use for the development teams. Which are only ~30 users of the total of +200 accounts. Our Draw.io subscription is only of use for our solution architectures, which comes to only 2 users of a total of +200.

Is there any way to somehow accomplish this, to limit subscriptions to certain user groups, and accordingly only actually pay for the users that are using the feature?

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 6, 2021

Hi @Tom Claessens

If I understood correctly you want to be charged only for the people you e.g. are using a specific addon, or even a product. If that is the case, then the answer is unfortunately no. This can't be done.

Upon subscription to another product or addon, the total price of this new product./addon will be calculated based on the higher number of users subscribed to a product. E.g.

• If you have bought 200 licenses for Jira Cloud and
  • 10 licenses for Jira Service Management

But you want to add an addon for jira cloud, then this will be calculated based on the 200 users (not the 10 users for the JMW), even if you want only these 10 users to use it (read this https://www.atlassian.com/licensing/marketplace#licensing-purchasing)

I know that this is not what you wanted to hear but I hope that helps.

Alex

Andy Geisz April 18, 2022

Have there been any changes to the way subscription user management occurs?  I have the same issue.

0 votes
David Benson _draw_io_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 10, 2021

draw.io does allow simple usage of basic functionality in both Jira and Confluence Cloud without a license. That's your better option is paying for all users isn't possible.

Suggest an answer