JIRA "Mail handler" to update multiple issues as comment using the respective issue id's in subject

Prakash Palanisamy November 9, 2017

Hi,

Need to know whether the JIRA mail handler("Create a new issue or add a comment to an existing issue") can update comment in multiple issues in a particular project by giving the respective issue id's in subject line.

{

For Ex: 

To: something@___.com **(Considering Issue Type: Bug, Issue ID's mentioned in subject belong to Bug)

Subject: DE-12 DE-13 DE-20

Mail: Received update from vendor.

}

Checked the functionality from my end, it is updating the first issue ID alone.

Can someone please help me is there a possibility to make this happen (or) any plugin needs to be installed which has this feature!!!?

Thanks in advance.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 9, 2017

You are going to need to find or write an app to do this.  The built-in mail handlers really can't handle unusual cases like this at all.

I normally look to the JEMH app for new mail handling functions, but I don't know if it could be set up to handle multiple issues in a subject.

Prakash Palanisamy January 18, 2018

Thanks Nic :)

0 votes
Justin Evans
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 9, 2017

Hi Prakash - I agree with Nic that JEMH might be able to handle this use case, but haven't verified it myself.

As a cheaper alternative that can do a lot more, you could also look into Power Scripts for Jira. There is an example script that emulates Jira's native mail handling functionality that could easily be modified to scan for all keys in the subject line and then add a comment for each key.

Hope this helps!

Prakash Palanisamy January 18, 2018

The suggestion helped me a lot. Thanks!

Suggest an answer