JIRA not using SMTP "from" address, instead using user's email address

Ryan Sinfield January 4, 2018

I have configured an outgoing SMTP server in our self-hosted JIRA installation and when I send a test email with it, it works just fine. I can also send an email from System > Mail > Send Email.  

However, when I attempt to send invitation emails, they sit in the queue with and do not send. If I click "Flush", the background turns red and they still do not get sent. Eventually they are moved over to the error queue, but I can't find any useful information that might suggest why. 

I am unsure whether this also affects notification emails, I have not made any changes to the default notification settings and I do not receive emails when issues are created, updated, etc.

EDIT

I have just found logs that suggest the email is trying to send from the email address of the person that sent the invite. However the account that is being used to authenticate the SMTP server does not have access to send from other email addresses.

How can I set the "from" email address to the email address of the SMTP account instead of JIRA taking the user's email address on the fly?

1 answer

1 accepted

Suggest an answer