JIRA cloud versions and validation for MD companies

Talya Yurman December 2, 2021

Hi,

As a Healthcare/Medical device company we should validate On the Shelf tools we use, also for our Quality Management, so it includes JIRA.

Validation is done for intended use scenarios execute on a particular SW version. If JIRA cloud is updates recently without our control so this validation is not valid anymore.

Do you have any solution for that issue? can I freeze my cloud version? and sure need to know what version we are validating...

BR, Talya SQA leader

2 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Matteo Gubellini _SoftComply_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 2, 2021

Hello @Talya Yurman ,

Yes this is a problem for Atlassian Cloud products.

We recommend our customers to perform an initial thorough validation and then repeat a subset at certain intervals. You can use a risk-based approach and justify the use of SaaS like this. As far as I know our customers did not have any issue defending this position with NBs.

Regarding the 2-weeks release gates that @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- mentioned, we investigated them with Atlassian and in fact they are only flag releases, so not really gated changes.

Regards

Matteo

Talya Yurman December 2, 2021

OK, Thanks a lot

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2021

Yes, sorry, I kept it simple with the flag/release idea.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2021

Technically, there is a version number, and you can get it with a REST call for system information.

But it is of no use to you.  You have little control over what version you will be using, it changes frequently, and it tells you nothing about compatibility with other systems.

It's useless for "validating tools" or governance.

All you can do is say "Jira Cloud" - you've chosen to use "Software as a Service", where things like specific versions become irrelevant.

As an aside, yes, if you're on Premium or Enterprise, then you can get a "freeze" on the version.  Of up to two weeks last time I looked.  (Also during the initial migration of large complex systems, but only during the migration)

Margus _SoftComply_ December 2, 2021

Just to comment also the release tracks ("frozen jira"). These gated changes are only changes that "user sees" or feels. Real system core changes are not gated, thus making the gates quite useless since the data can be hit any time without any notification on any sandbox or production instance.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 2, 2021

I oversimplified because there was no need for the detail.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events