JIRA boards not showing up for Business projects

Chad Loder July 18, 2017

Hello,

I can't see a link for "Boards" for any of my JIRA core (Business) projects. I don't know how to create a Board for a project, and I don't know how to view boards (if they exist) for projects I've created.

I'm using JIRA 7.3 (core + Software) - I've created a business project with the default workflow, and nothing board-related shows up. I've attached a screen shot of what the project page looks like.

I have a feeling I'm missing something super obvious here. Any ideas?

jira_2017-07-18_11-37-28.png

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 18, 2017

i use cloud so your milage may vary...

Chad,

I wonder if the board option isn't there until you create a board. So lets try that. If you go to boards > view all boards > create. You should be able to figure out how to create a quick board. Simply select the Scrum or Kanban and then board from project.

Can you try that and report back?

Chad Loder July 18, 2017

Hi Jack,

Thanks! I guess this works - when I try to create a board from the "View All Boards" page, I only get the option for Scrum or Kanban boards. I was under the impression that there was a different kind of board available for non-software projects, based on this blog post. But as I read the blog more carefully, I realize that JIRA Core Boards might only be available in JIRA cloud instances?

https://www.atlassian.com/blog/jira-core/jira-core-means-business-introducing-boards-and-mobile-apps

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 18, 2017

I use cloud and the only options I have are Scrum and Kanban. Briefly looked at the blog but don't see what is different than Kanban. Keep in mind that you can configure the heck out of your board to have it look like what you want. For business I generally suggest kanban but there are cases where a business process could benefit from sprints. 

If you have issues/questions about configuring the board I would search the community and open a new thread if you don't find what you want. If this issue is closed and acceptable please accept as solution. Otherwise leave open for others to comment.

Chad Loder July 18, 2017

Jack,

Yup, thank you! I'm just using Kanban and it seems fine for now. :)

Thanks - this solves my problem.

Kevin Russell May 24, 2018

Chad, I realize this post is almost a year old but I am running into the exact issue you first asked about (no "Boards" option in the side bar).  I have created a Kanban board and selected the buisness project, but the "Boards" link still does not show in the side bar.  Were you able to get it to show in the side bar?

I am currently running: Jira Software + Core 7.7 Server Edition

Farmehr Farhour July 16, 2018

Any updates on this, or is it just a missing feature in JIRA server?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 16, 2018

Nope you're missing nothing, the boards are still not in Server, and might never make it.

Farmehr Farhour July 16, 2018

Thanks for your reply. That's very unfortunate. 
For the time being I just made a hyperlink in the sidebar to link to a custom Kanban board I made for the Business Project.

Suggest an answer