JIRA autmation related

A Chattopadhyay May 24, 2021

Hello

I have a specific scenario and let me elaborate. I have, say 100 JIRA Stories and each story has random number of JIRA issues associated with. The associated JIRAs may be stories, bugs.

Now I want to create a new JIRA and want to associate to all the issues for the 100 JIRAs as explained above. Manually extracting reports, filtering in excel and associating one by one is a very tedious job. Is there any way I can do automation by running a JIRA script ?

Thank you very much.

3 answers

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 25, 2021

Thanks for explaining! 

You cannot do that type of query with out-of-the-box Jira.  You would need a marketplace add-on such as ScriptRunner.  I do not have that add-on in my current instance so someone else will need to provide advice how to perform the query.

You could possibly also do this with automation for Jira rules.  However such rules are limited to 100 issues per search, branch, etc.  and so you could run into limitations.

Rather than using all of these linkages, have you considered instead using the built-in Fix Version and Affects Version fields to manage the release/deployment contents?

0 votes
A Chattopadhyay May 25, 2021

Thank you Bill. Here are the response from me.

1) We are using JIRA as defects and deployment tool. We maintain JIRAs for each deployment and track existing issues by linking with deployment JIRAs

2) This is a repeatable work. We will be using that often. Currently we manage vka manual linking

3) Yes I mean linking by associate

4) I have the list of 100 issues (100 is an example). In fact I have below query that pulls out all the required deployment JIRAs.

project = ABCDE AND issuetype in (Story) AND summary ~ deployment AND status != Cancelled ORDER BY created DESC, type ASC

Output

It shows all required deployment JIRAs (I said 100 as an example). One row is like below
Story
EBMUK-12637  UAT deployment (01/04)  Ready to accept   2021-03-31

Another query:

project = ABCDE AND issuekey in (EBMUK-12637)

Output:

EBMUK-12301, EBMUK-12594, EBMUK-12336, EBMUK-12531, EBMUK-12589, EBMUK-12330, EBMUK-11670, EBMUK-12601, EBMUK-12637

These are linked issues to one of 100 JIRAs

Finally I want to link all such issues in one go using JIRA query automation

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 25, 2021

Hi @A Chattopadhyay  -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I have some follow-up questions which may help the community to offer you ideas:

1. What problem are you trying to solve by doing this?
  2. Is this a one-time problem to solve, or do you need to solve this problem repeatedly in the future?
  3. What do you mean by "associate"?  Do you mean the issue links?
  4. When you create the new issue, how will you know the 100 issues with which to iterate over in order to create all of these associations?

Best regards,

Bill

Suggest an answer