JIRA auatomation help

will June 16, 2022

I was wondering if someone could kindly help me. I am trying to create an automation which loops through any JIRA issue that
has been updated, and looks for specific words, replacing them with hyperlinks.

For example,

I wish to lookup the word Lead and replace with a URL to the lead documentation
I wish to lookup the word Clients and replace with a URL to the client documentation

Ideally I wish for the automation to be simple on a single automation.

1 answer

1 vote
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 20, 2022

Hi @will 

Writing automation rules is quite a bit about learning and experimentation.  So...what have you tried thus far to solve this problem?  If you post images of your rule, the audit log details, and what is not working that will provide the community more context to help.

For example, are you stuck trying to find/replace the text?  And what fields do you want to change?  And where are the replacement URLs coming from?  And so forth...

If you have not started yet, please review this documentation and examples to help:

Kind regards,
Bill

will June 28, 2022

Hi Bill,

I have tried multiple thinks, the one I thought would get me the closest was to do a string replace on the words by using smart values, unfortunatley it works for a single replace, however I couldn't get it to work for multiple.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 28, 2022

The replacement functions work on one field at a time, not an entire issue.  For example, to do this for just the Description field you could use the replace() or replaceAll() function, depending upon if you want to use a regular expression:

https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/jira-smart-values-text-fields/#replace-String-target--String-replacement-

https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/jira-smart-values-text-fields/#replaceAll-String-regex--String-replacement-

{{issue.description.replace("Lead", "yourLeadUrl")}}

will July 1, 2022

Hi Bill

Let me show you the issue I face when trying the above:
https://www.loom.com/share/bc9207cb96a54aa3927ea06f075faf8f

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 1, 2022

Hi!  Would you please post your images of your rule and the audit log details here in this community thread.  That will provide context and ensure the images are preserved for future people looking at this question.  Thanks!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events