JIRA Workflow for Documentation lifecycle?

Steve Hayhurst February 23, 2018

Morning all and Happy Friday

I am implementing doc lifecycle processes and procedures for a client (which have NONE). the Pilot team uses JIRA and would like to to minimize their overhead regarding documentation by including us in the JIRA world side of things.

Being pretty newbie to JIRA, I was wondering a couple of things:

1. Where can I find what JIRA can do as far as documentation?

2. Is there existing workflow objects or plugins around documentation life cycle either integrated or available to integrate with JIRA?

Related topic:

Customer is using Flare for their documentation. Is there any integration capability either directly with Madcap Flare or can someone point me at the integration capabilities so I can look at what it would take to get Flare and JIRA  interaction.

Thanks in advance

1 answer

0 votes
Peter DeWitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 23, 2018

@Steve Hayhurst, I'm not entirely sure about what you are trying to do here but it sounds like you'd like to use Jira to manage the workflow of your Flare documentation.  If that's the case, check out this Blog article:

https://www.madcapsoftware.com/blog/2017/05/11/guide-reviewing-documents-using-madcap-flare-madcap-contributor-jira-confluence/

If not, and you're trying to create documentation, I would recommend Confluence as Jira will be great for tracking to documentation process but poor for actually being the documentation.

pjd

Peter:

Thanks for the quick response. Definitely NOT looking to create from JIRA, but if we can incorporate the documentation life cycle into the JIRA workflow that would be the goal.

Currently, we have a Doc Request form created in SalesForce that the team is pushing back against completing. They insist doing so is repeating what they say is already available in JIRA, so I'm looking to leverage this information for our reporting requirements to help develop a roadmap (proving they need SEVERAL TWs to stay on top of  content and justify their need).

Thanks for the link--will check it out.

Have a good weekend.

Peter DeWitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 23, 2018

Steve, my hop uses and Salesforce/Jira combined system too.  We use the Go2Group connector to sync the two. This might help if you have one team in SF and the other in Jira.  Service Rocket also make a connector too.

Cool; thanks.

Feel free to shoot any pointers and gotchas my way....

Note: Client is moving to the Lightening implementation of SF and Dev is on JIRA 7.x

Peter DeWitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 24, 2018

The one thing we ran into way initially they wanted SF to be the system of record and just push info to Jira.  This ended up leaving a bunch of open SF cases as the teams working in Jira weren't going to go into SF to close the originating case.  We eventually went to a push method where the case is pushed into Jira and then automatically closed in SF.  This kept things clean.  The other thing I have done in the past is to build a bi-directional link between Jira and SalesForce where updates to either end affect the other.

Peter DeWitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 24, 2018

We are also in process of moving to the lightning implementation but aren't quite there yet.

Suggest an answer