JIRA Upgrade from 6.4.8 to 7.7 failed after switching from SQL Server 2005 to 2008

We are attempting to upgrade from Jira 6.4.8 to 7.7.

(We were using a SQL Server 2005 DB, and Jira 7.7 requires SQL Server 2008 or above. We backed up our 2005 DB and then restored a new DB on a 2008 SQL Server instance from the 2005 backup . Then we upgraded Jira to 7.7 using the installer. We had to modify dbconfig.xml manually to use a SQL Server named instance since the browser startup page didn't seem to know how to connect to a named instance. The command prompt output says that the DB connection is OK.)

Now Jira won't start. In the command prompt output there are the following errors:

ERROR [o.e.g.b.e.i.util.concurrent.RunnableTimedExecution] Closing runnable for context NonValidatingOsgiBundleXmlApplicationContext(bundle=com.kintosoft.jira.subversion-plus, config=osgibundle:/META-INF/spring/*.xml) did not finish in 10000ms; conside
r taking a snapshot and then shutdown the VM in case the thread still hangs
2018-01-24 09:48:17,707 ThreadPoolAsyncTaskExecutor::Thread 13...

ERROR [o.e.g
.b.e.internal.support.ExtenderConfiguration] Application context refresh failed
(NonValidatingOsgiBundleXmlApplicationContext(bundle=com.kintosoft.jira.subversi
on-plus, config=osgibundle:/META-INF/spring/*.xml))
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/quartz/SchedulerException
at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredMethods0(Native Method)
at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredMethods(Class.java:2701)
at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredMethods(Class.java:1975)
at org.springframework.util.ReflectionUtils.getDeclaredMethods(Reflectio
nUtils.java:609)...

ERROR [c.a.u.l.storage.lib.PluginLicenseStoragePluginInstaller] Failed to install or enable
the Plugin License Storage plugin version 2.9.3
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: com.google.common.collect.MapMaker.expiration(JLjav
a/util/concurrent/TimeUnit;)Lcom/google/common/collect/MapMaker;
at com.atlassian.upm.Functions.<clinit>(Functions.java:121)
at com.atlassian.upm.Functions$CachedFunction2.cache(Functions.java:170)...

ERROR [c.a.jira.index.LuceneCorruptionChecker] Can't open index 'C:\Program Files\Atlassian\Application Data\JIRA\ca
ches\indexes\plugins\kintosoft_subversion_h2'. Reason:
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexNotFoundException: no segments* file found in org.a
pache.lucene.store.MMapDirectory@C:\Program Files\Atlassian\Application Data\JIR
A\caches\indexes\plugins\kintosoft_subversion_h2 lockFactory=com.atlassian.jira.
util.LuceneDirectoryUtilsImpl$UtilConcurrentLockFactory@10d8c2cf: files: [index.
h2.db, index.trace.db]
at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentInfos$FindSegmentsFile.run(SegmentInfo
s.java:708)...

ERROR [c.a.upgrade.core.DefaultUpgradeTaskFactoryProcessor] Upgrade task [host,buildNumber=70024] failed java.lang.RuntimeException: Error running original upgrade task at com.atlassian.jira.upgrade.AbstractUpgradeTask.runUpgrade(AbstractUpg
radeTask.java:63)...

In User Plugins, Subvesion ALM seems to be the only disabled plugin, and there is a Failed Plugin Report at the end of the command prompt output:

1 plugin failed to load during JIRA startup. 'com.kintosoft.jira.subversion-plus' - 'Subversion ALM' failed to load. org/quartz/SchedulerException org.quartz.SchedulerException not found by com.kintosoft.jira.subversion-plus [181] It was loaded from C:\Program Files\Atlassian\Application Data\J
IRA\plugins\installed-plugins\plugin.437050540674858826.subversion-plus-6.0.10-j
ira-6.jar

Is the Subversion ALM plugin causing JIRA not to start? (a lot of the errors seem to be about it) And if so, how can we fix this?

Thanks.

1 answer

0 votes

Two things

1.  When you upgraded, did you go from 6.4 to 7.0 before going to 7.7?  There is upgrade code in there you need to run for quite a lot of add-ons.

2.  If you did take that route, then yes, the problem is definitely that add-on.  Try removing it.  Go into the home directory for Jira and find the "plugins" folder.   Somewhere in the directory tree, there is a .jar file that provides the add-on (it should have an identifiable name, probably with numbers added to it) - move it to somewhere safe and try restarting Jira.

No, we went straight from 6.4 to 7.7

I tried removing the file (plugin.437050540674858826.subversion-plus-6.0.10-jira-6_1459795710504) from the home directory and I still got errors related to the plugin:

ERROR [c.a.p.osgi.factory.OsgiPlugin] Unable to start the plugin container for plugin 'com.kintosoft.jira.subversion-plus'
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/quartz/SchedulerException
at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredMethods0(Native Method)...

EDIT: I removed the file from <home directory>plugins\.osgi-plugins\transformed-plugins and from <home directory>\plugins\installed-plugins

I'm still getting the following error:

ERROR [c.a.jira.index.LuceneCorruptionChecker] Can't open index 'C:\Program Files\Atlassian\Application Data\JIRA\caches\indexes\plugins\kintosoft_subversion_h2'. Reason:
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexNotFoundException: no segments* file found in org.a
pache.lucene.store.MMapDirectory@C:\Program Files\Atlassian\Application Data\JIR
A\caches\indexes\plugins\kintosoft_subversion_h2 lockFactory=com.atlassian.jira.
util.LuceneDirectoryUtilsImpl$UtilConcurrentLockFactory@25ea90d4: files: [index.
h2.db, index.trace.db]
at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentInfos$FindSegmentsFile.run(SegmentInfo
s.java:708)...

do I need to remove caches\indexes\plugins\kintosoft_subversion_h2 as well?

It's possible that the lack of upgrade via version 7 has broken something, but I can't imagine what it would do to that particular add-on's data, so I think you might be alright there.

Yes, I would move the kintosoft_subversion_h2 directory somewhere else and retry.

Do you think it's a good idea to roll back to version 6.4 and then try to upgrade to version 7.0 first?

It looks like there might be other plugins that are interfering. 

2018-01-24 12:16:24,972 ThreadPoolAsyncTaskExecutor::Thread 4 ERROR [c.a.u.
l.storage.lib.PluginLicenseStoragePluginInstaller] Failed to install or enable the Plugin License Storage plugin version 2.9.3

Ah, given that you're now getting errors in system add-ons, I would say yes, you should go back to 6.4 and step through to 7.0

OK, we did that and it seems to be working now. Thank you for your help.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Monday in Confluence

Organizing your space just got easier - Page Tree Drag & Drop is here

Hi Community! I’m Elaine, Confluence Product Manager. You may have read my earlier post about page tree in space navigation sidebar. I'm excited to share another improvement that helps you organize ...

110 views 3 4
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you